Gazco fire valve sticking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last time I posted about this issue I got no replies, possibly because there doesn't seem to be a forum dedicated to allowing DIYers to ask questions of gas fitters. If anyone knows of a better place on this site where I can put this, please let me know.

Couple of years ago I had a coal effect open gas fire serviced by a local fitter. When he left, having turned the fire up high while he tested it, the valve was red hot and I couldnt turn it off. In the end I had to turn the gas off at the mains. I called him back, he came and had a fiddle but it made no difference. To cut a long story short whatever he had done appeared to have dried out the valve, which I'm told is supposed to be greased to facilitate movement. He came back on the final occasion, spent about half an hour here and announced that he'd regreased the valve. It was fine last winter, however, its becoming hard to operate again, particularly when the fire has been on a high setting.

Any advice as to how to proceed would be appreciated, and I stress that I'm not looking to do this myself; but only to approach a local tradesman with the benefit of some knowledge of the issue, hopefully gleaned from this site. The model of fire is Gazco.

Sponsored Links
I considered that but couldn't find any topics about gas fires. Nevertheless, I'll give it a shot, thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back