Replacing an MFI cheapo diplomat electric oven.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone got any advice for this?
My house has an MFI kitchen (already installed before we moved in) and the oven needs replacing.
However the gap seems to be about 56cm wide and all the ovens that you can buy seem to be 59cm ish wide. Is this a ploy to make you buy the oven from MFI when you buy the kitchen?
If so how can i fit a regular oven in there can i just remove some wood from either side of the oven (there seems to be a panel either side or will this mess up the structure of the kitchen? Also would these panels have the holes that keep the oven securely in place?
206ybs7.jpg

Sponsored Links
Measure from where the panel you've marked joins the adjacent panel, across the oven to the extreme edge of the opposite panel and let us know what this measurement is. ;) ;)

I think you will find the width being quoted is the full (i.e. front panel) width rather than the opening/recess width.

If you check the product spec it should quote the 'recess opening' or similar which you will find is around 56cm. All standard 600mm metric kitchen units will accept this size.

Here's an example http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/new-world-nw901g-gas-oven-black-19621575-pdt.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that!! There was no mention of recess size on the John lewis website just oven size so maybe my recess is standard size after all!

Just need to work out if I can fit a double oven height in now as my oven is only single oven height and I would like a double if possible. Is this a big job or would I get adjustable feet with the new oven?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the size of the opening as to whether you will fit a double oven in there. Somehow I doubt it. Built-in ovens usually just sit on the bottom panel of the opening - no legs.

If the oven housing measures in the region of 595 to 600mm total width (that means including the side panels) you have a perfectly standard metric oven unit - and it will because that's all MFI produced.

You need to make enquiries with your supplier to get the sizes and then compare with the opening you have available. Width won't be a problem but height will.

I disagree with kbdiy..... every single oven I have ever fitted was on top of a blanking panel, similar size to a drawer.

I have replaced a single with a double build-under oven (not build in), and it fitted. I had to remove the existing unit that had the oven in, and just fit 2 white panels. Then just cut the plinth smaller by the ovens as needed

As I said, it does depend on the size of the opening and whether it is built-in or built-under. As the OP did not seem to understand the concept of oven sizing at all, I felt it worth erring on the side of caution and advising that he/she checked the opening carefully.

I fully agree and understand about single oven housing units but assumption is a dangerous thing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back