Whirlpool ARC5551 - make it less noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

My place is quite small, and therefor there is like 5 steps between my bed and my refrigerator. I am annoyed by its noice, its whirlpool ARC5551 without a fan.

I know many people put freestanding refrigerators inside closets or basicly just in tight kitchens where there is basicly zero airflow.

I could do that but it would be a waste. I was thinking more in the line of just closing that compartment with the compressor, since its only the compressor making the noice. That way i dont enclose the coils that take the heat away from the compressor. Even more, i want to add 2 120mm fans to cool the compressor just incase ( not sure its even neede but better safe then sorry ), one would bring the air in, one would blow it out ( over the coils ). Soo try to picture it, a wooden or maybe iron plate ( maybe touching the compressor to draw even more heat from it ) and 2 holes with short tunels. One fan would be pointed directly to compressor and would draw the fresh air from the tunel leading outside, and 1 fan would blow into a tunel leading into the coils.
I have been doing a lot of computer cooling modifications and i am pretty sure the compressor should be cooler then it is now if i pull this off. It is next to a wall from 2 sides, barely has any space at all and no fans. Fans make a huge difference. One idea to bring the cool air inside the compressor compartment also is to just lift the fridge for about 2.5cm ( 1 inch ), basicly put it on some kind of legs if you will, and then the fan would get the air from under it ( if you check the picture u can see there is a hole under it ).

Soo what do you think, do this or just put it inside a closet like soo many ppl do, make a hole or two and let it be ? I think my idea is better ( fans + unrestricted coils.. ) but what do you think ?

2lbcc4i.jpg

23uuds.jpg

Sponsored Links
You would reduce noise better if you place the whole fridge on a rubber mat to reduce vibration the tray above motor need open space to evaporate the moisture removed from the fridge.
Oh----- and stop sleeping in the kitchen. :)

Hehehe, sadly my whole place is like 1 big room and offcourse an extra room - bathroom and no way i can place the fridge there.

How about this:

2hwijy1.jpg

This is how refrigerator is in most kitchen, wall to wall with other things. That black rectangle you see is a piece of wood. On the bottom there would be a wooden door ( what you see in the back is a fan.....cant hurt i guess ), and in the upper part there is also a wooden part blocking the noice from behind the fridge ( i added a pan to give this wooden board some usage if you are wondering what is there ). Surely this would help a bit, and like i said, this is exactly how you find the fridge in average kitchen, wall to wall, closets on all sides, etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back