Give up!! Are our brand new dot+dab walls totally knackered?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not possible to describe how dejected i feel today as it just seems to be one thing after another & it's getting on top of me. I was going to do a bit of work today at the house but had to leave the house to calm down as i was just getting angry & would end up breaking something. :(

Our living room suffered from damp. It was a band about 1mtr up the wall approx 15cm in height.

The plasterer boarded it & skimmed it on the left side of the chimney breast as well as the breast itself. To the right, we were under the impression it would have the same treatment, but they bonded a patch in.

I was told about dotting & dabbing, cold spots & circles showing through (after they started work), so i went to them & asked.

They said that that would happen on piddle-wet through walls, but ours is 1) an internal party wall 2) not piddle-wet through (he was right - when we'd knocked back to the brick, it felt dry) 3) the wall was being tanked, then the dabs would NOT show through.

A few days after they finished around 3 weeks ago, there were dabs all over the walls. X amount across, X amount down. This disappeared as the wall dried out.

The other day i noticed shadowing and i'm not 100% sure as it was dark (removed living room light) but i think it also disappeared.

Went in today & there are shadow circles on the lower section. Again it's been approx 3 weeks since they finished this...

I don't know whether i'm overreacting & it's still part of the drying out process (we don't LIVE there & have had our windows open in the early drying days, but not since they told us to silicone the windows otherwise it'll crack - we opened the back patio doors instead, but only at weekends & only for an hour or so)...
...or whether it is as we've been warned - and that these circles will forever show through.

If (& i feel it is - because i'm a pessimist) it's the latter & that it HAS dried out fully & doesn't need any further drying out, then we simply do not have the money to put it right. The room cost us £1,100. We don't have money to do things twice.

What do you guys think? Is 3 weeks still early days? Is the plasterer correct - that it's an internal party wall that was dry & has been tanked & it shouldn't show through? Should we give it more weeks? Get airflow in? Or would you expect this to be it - the way it is going to be, permanently?

EDIT: Not sure if i said, but the chimney breast was dotted & dabbed & there's no circles there at all. The one that does have circles is the furthest from the window & therefore sun.

Sponsored Links
The drying process of plaster takes many cycles and can go from the wet stage during curing, to all sorts of shades, sometimes return from a pale colour to a darker colour. I would be patient for time being, it can take upto 2 months for plaster to fully dry.

You also have the water in the dabs themselves to dry out. There is more here than in the 2mm of skim, so it will take a bit longer to dry.

If after a longer period they are still damp, then investigate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back