Is this normal when having your walls skimmed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had one of our rooms taken to. Some walls have been plasterboarded & skimmed, others just skimmed.

Anyway the wife was wanting to paint the walls (having originally wanted to wallpaper them), but the thing is i've noticed the corner of the skim beads showing through.

& then a close-up of the above photo....

This may very well be normal as i don't know but wanted to just check.

If it is normal then how do you get on with painting like that? I imagine the paint would show differently on the plaster than it would on the metal skim bead (i.e. look crap)?

Sponsored Links
The exposed nose of the bead is very normal, it would be shoddy work not to clean the bead off. So nothing to worry about, will paint up no problem!

The exposed nose of the bead is very normal, it would be shoddy work not to clean the bead off. So nothing to worry about, will paint up no problem!
Thanks a lot for clearing that up.

I just assumed (with my vast knowledge!! lol) that the bead would be fully covered. When our porch was done (DIY job - no professional) the beading was totally covered when rendering. This is why i assumed what i did. I suppose the key there is our job was professional whereas our porch wasn't.

Sponsored Links

I just assumed (with my vast knowledge!! lol) that the bead would be fully covered. When our porch was done (DIY job - no professional) the beading was totally covered when rendering. This is why i assumed what i did. I suppose the key there is our job was professional whereas our porch wasn't.
I was always told by my peers, make sure the bead is clean!
And being the obedient lad I was ;) I complied to those instructions!

I was always told by my peers, make sure the bead is clean!
And being the obedient lad I was ;) I complied to those instructions!

But I bet you never cleaned it with the edge of your trowel!!! ;)

I'd rather not create a new thread in the decorating forum just for this but i can if i should??

Question is - how do you get on painting that? Is it perfectly fine to direct paint the nose of the bead with the same stuff you're painting on the walls? We're not going to get condensation or anything daft like that because of the heat hitting the metal & differences in temperature or whatever?

Not as silly a Q as it seems. I only ask because everything we've done so far, SOMETHING has gone wrong through lack of understanding.

Should the bead nose be treated/painted with something first before painting the walls with suitable paint?

I'm guessing the answer to this is yes but i'll ask all the same.

Our walls are about 1 week in after the majority of them were skimmed with 1 section being bonded AFAIK.

Anyway, it's drying out nicely & is a nice light pinky/orange colour. You can see the skim beads though....

Will this fade in time, or is this going to be an issue? The cold metal bead behind the plaster hitting the warm air & causing wet patches where the beads are?

Just thought i'd ask early since we've had enough bother with damp in this room.

When it dries out fully, why will the bead be at a different temperature than the plaster covering it?

If you do have damp or condensation issues, they need sorting but merely having a metal bead in the plaster won't affect anything at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back