lime render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am hoping for some advice from the chaps in the know. I dont have very much experience with rendering internal or external, plastering im ok.

A friend has asked me to tidy up their front room in a period early 1900 house, two internal walls and one exterior wall where the window is.

Obviously these are solid walls so different materials are needed, I understand that gypsum based plasters is a no no. However I dont know exactly how to go about tackling this, id like to have a go for my own learning but dont want to go using the wrong mixes etc.

Can anyone advise please?

I should also add that the external wall in question is 2nd floor not ground.

Sponsored Links
Your not far from from Cheltenham, you could book a days course at, Trad-Lime.
You will be taught how to do it, plus see all the different materials available for each application.
If you come up in your van, bring back the materials needed for the job, saves another journey.
Approx 4 miles of junction 11

If you are not experienced in float and set and rendering then I think that maybe get someone in who is, as you might lose afriend ;) Unless he is a very good friend who is not too particular......

Don't take this personel...... ;)

Sponsored Links
thanks for replies, yes can float and set render, just not that experienced in doing it, however not getting experience is not helpful either... no offense taken..

no problems using gypsum, limelite eh... this could be the answer then, it will be a first using this product - whats it like to work with?

If your friends house is made with traditional lime products, I would check whether in fact Limelite is compatible with lime. Their website makes it sound as though they want it to be, but personally I doubt it. Do a Google search for "Traditional lime plaster" or "lime mortar period property" etc and ask one or two of the companies there what they think you should use.

I have done my entire 19th C house with mortar made from sand and lime putty (see http://houseintheenchantedforest.blogspot.com/) so you know what I'd use on your friend's house!

ok so as an update. The friend that i am doing this for has taken the wall in question back to the stone. I had my first attempt at using limelite renovating plaster last night, interesting stuff... I was very cautious with it, goggles, mask, gloves etc...

wasnt too sure if to mix it wet or stiff, it seems to go off pretty quickly, despite giving the walls a decent brush down with water.... PVA is a no no as it re-emulisifies when wet and prevents the plaster bonding to the stone (quoted from the Tarmac technical helpdesk)

apparently if you want to control suction as the substrate is too dry, sbr should be added to the mix.... i questioned this as i was under the impression that sbr is a waterproofer, and therefore seals a wall that is meant to breath....

confused, me too.

ok so as an update. The friend that i am doing this for has taken the wall in question back to the stone. I had my first attempt at using limelite renovating plaster last night, interesting stuff... I was very cautious with it, goggles, mask, gloves etc...

wasnt too sure if to mix it wet or stiff, it seems to go off pretty quickly, despite giving the walls a decent brush down with water.... PVA is a no no as it re-emulisifies when wet and prevents the plaster bonding to the stone (quoted from the Tarmac technical helpdesk)

apparently if you want to control suction as the substrate is too dry, sbr should be added to the mix.... i questioned this as i was under the impression that sbr is a waterproofer, and therefore seals a wall that is meant to breath....

confused, me too.

This is one reason limelite is not good for the job. Like many past gypsum products recomended for certain jobs then later found to cause problems, limelite is the same. No good for stone.

You should go down the lime route. NHL 3.5 will do the job and all you need to do is give the stone a good wetting down. lime render has stood the test of time, limelite hasn't....

good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back