Render a Garden Wall made from Paving Slabs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a retaining 'wall' made from vertically upright paving slabs a few years ago; it's very strong and holds back a raised planting area. I really like the idea of rendering it & painting it white but I've been told that there's no point because the render would chip off and it'd be a complete waste of money. I was advised just to fill the small gaps between the slabs with silicone sealant then paint with masonry paint. That sounds like a poor option to me - I've really got my heart set on having the wall rendered to give it a very trendy look. Can anyone give me any advice please? Obviously I'd like to keep the cost minimal but if it is possible, I'd rather pay a bit extra for materials / labour and have the effect I want eventually..........
I'd be grateful for any advice / tips etc.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If it is stable you could prepare it in this way.

Make sure it is clean and not moving.

Use SBR/OPC?sand slurry (search this site for info) or Rendaid type product as a first coat, brushed on. Bed rendering fibregalss mesh into this coat, or beter still into a second coat if first coat is dry. MAke sure all joints are lappped atleast 100mm.

Stipple this for a key by running a roller over it.

After at least 24 hours Apply first scratch coat of render, 4:1 sand opc with SBR added .

After at least 24 hours apply final coat of render, 5:1:1 sand opc lime

You can use a water proofer in th escratch coat, but the SBR wil give better flexibility.

Bear in mind your wall has to be stable, and the water behind it will try to get through, the water proof SBR slurry coat or rendaid will stop this to a degree but must be well keyed onto the wall

That's brilliant Micilin, thanks very much for your advice - at least I know it's possible now... when would be the best time of year to have this work done? Should I wait till it's not rained for a couple of weeks? What do you think?
Thanks again, your advice is much appreciated.

It depends only on how wet the wall is. Rain the morning no poblem as such as long as you don't have water coming thru from the soil behind.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back