2 port valves on new central heating? required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're renovating a small 2 bed terrace, to make things easier old CH was removed and new being put in.

Electrician ran all cables for first fix. Plumbers been here for a while already and today suddenly says he needs to install a thermostat for each floor and 2 powered 2 port valves as it's regulations.

Electrician has only run wiring for 1 thermostat.

Had a quick google and couldn't find anything concrete as to whether they are required for refurbs, can anyone confirm if this is true?

Sponsored Links
I would go with the plumber. Why heat the whole house when you will only be using either downstairs or up stairs. Obviously, when the whole house needs to be heated, then fire both zones. More cost effective.

Cables for the room thermostats will need to be three core earth (if room thermostats are specified). For motorised valves, I would be concerned about wiring as electricians sometimes fail to wire the controls as per the boiler manual.

The problem is, all the electrics have been done and walls have been plastered upstairs so it will cost to put it in at this stage.

My question is not whether it's good to have it or not but whether it's actually required under regulations?

Don't know the right's or wrong's re regs, but IMHO, trv's in bedrooms must be the best way to go, as each individual can adjust temperature to what they like!

Sponsored Links
Yea we have those, he's saying we need an electronic thermostat for each floor instead of just 1 for the whole house and then 2 electronically powered 2 port valves on the pipework.

House is only tiny. Not sure what's he's going on about tbh, whether or not he's telling the truth or just trying to cause problems. Should have told us this from the get go.

The problem is, all the electrics have been done and walls have been plastered upstairs so it will cost to put it in at this stage.

My question is not whether it's good to have it or not but whether it's actually required under regulations?

Depends on the size of the property, under a certain size no, so ask your BCO.

You can always buy an RF room stat for upstairs.

Sounds like he is looking to increase the bill. (I have not got the emotion/smilies of the chap hiding under a chair)

Sounds like he is looking to increase the bill. (I have not got the emotion/smilies of the chap hiding under a chair)

One would assume if the installer priced the job they would be included in the price.

This is where you should have a spec of the works so you know what is included in the quote.

We're renovating a small 2 bed terrace, to make things easier old CH was removed and new being put in.
If you ripped out the complete system - rads, pipes, boiler etc - you will now be installing a "new" system. The latest Building Regulations, introduced October 2010, require all new systems, with one exception which does not apply to you, to have two separate heating zones with individual room stats in the "control" areas and TRVs in all other rooms. You can find the details in Domestic Buildings Compliance Guide 2010

Electrician has only run wiring for 1 thermostat.
User a wireless stat for the other zone.

What has the electrician run for the thermostat - a twin and earth??!! :rolleyes:

Hmmmm.

Rules
Guidance
Wise men
Obeyance
Fools.

Is BCO even involved with your project?

If plumber wants to go by the book at a late stage, then it's on him surely?

Is BCO even involved with your project?
If they are not, they should be, as only BCO can decide if the work complies with Building Regulations. See para 1.4 of the Guide.

If plumber wants to go by the book at a late stage, then it's on him surely?
That raises the question: at what stage in the refurbishment was the plumber involved? If at the very beginning, it would have been his responsibility to advise what controls and wiring was necessary before the electrician installed any cables. But if he has only been brought in after the wires have been installed, you can't blame him if you made a mistake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back