Aqualisa Aquavalve 605/405 dripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Aqualisa Aquavalve (605 or 405 I think - it was installed in a new house in 1996).

I had a problem with a shower water reducer (now removed) which led to the replacement of the outlook plug assembly.

Ever since then (though possibly before as well) the shower has been dripping (from the bottom of the temperature control knob). Having had a shower this morning, this dripping is now continuing even when the shower is switched off :cry:

Again I don't know if it's related, but when having showers recently, the temperature seems to gradually cool over the course of the shower, until the water runs cool (not cold). When this happens there's still hot water in the tank - bath runs fine afterwards etc.

Any ideas?

Is it time to look to replace it?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's time for a new cartridge.
You'll need to remove the controls first to id what colour cartridge you have .

Uh oh! Just had a look and they seem to cost around £110.

At that cost, and with the age of the shower (15 years) is it worth considering replacing the entire unit it with another aqualisa (to hopefully last another 15 years)?

I believe aqualisa are supposed to be pretty good/reliable?

What's the approx cost for one of these unsits (someone suggested around £300).

Sponsored Links

I don't want to "force" something and break it.

Are there service manuals available detailing how to dismantle these shower mixers?

Try the Shower Doctor dot com - you'll find exploded diagrams of your mixer, asd well as all the others in their range.

Hi

The leak is probably from the cartridge seal. There are 4 screws that hold this in place and they are held in by inserts in the plastic body. Too tight and the screw will pull the insert out of the body.

These are not cheap to repair as you have found out but are very good showers.

HTH

It's all pretty straight foreward.
First you need to remove the on/off control, this just pulls off but can be a b****r useally needs levering off from bothsides.
then the temp control just screws onto the cartridge.

Ok, it took a few weeks! I did some testing yesterday and took some photos:

With the below as evidence, does it still look to be a cartridge issue, that needs replacing?
If so, which part do I need to order?
Also, can anyone identify my specific shower from the photos?

The cartridge (note the top two screws seem fine, the bottom right screw is rusty, and the bottom left screw looks oxidised - I suspect this means this could be a long-standing fault???):
View media item 40731
The shower dripping (whilst and shortly after being switched on):
View media item 40734View media item 40735View media item 40736
The shower (for identification):
View media item 40733View media item 40732

It looks to be leaking from the inner black part then dripping down the grey part, if so then the cartridge is knackered.
What system is supplying the shower gravity or mains pressure ie combi boiler ?

Gravity pt no is Aqualisa 022801 grey cartridge.
Combi pt no is Aqualisa 022802 pink cartridge.

Double check when you remove the screws as the brass inserts can split
if this happens then it's a new body if it's the older version.

Many thanks for that. It's not a combi boiler (there's a hot water tank), which I assume means it's gravity fed.

Thanks for the part number too. I'll check with a local merchant on the cost.

Given the state of the bottom 2 screws (screwing the cartridge to the body) do you know if the part comes with 4 replacement screws?

The image (http://www.aqualisa.co.uk/parts-sto...mostatic-and-430-Manual-Mixer-Valve/Cartidge/) shows 4 screws, though they look to be for connecting the temperature control to the cartridge, rather than the cartridge to the body???

If the brass inserts have split, I assume this will mean the water will need to be off until I replace the body too? - which looks to be a much bigger job die to the tiles around etc...

Also will I need plumbers tape for this (cartridge replacement), or is it just a case of unscrew the old cartridge and screw in the new one.

Sorry for all the questions, (as you can probably tell) I'm a novice DIYer trying to learn!

The replacement cartidge comes with new screws and seals.
follow the instructions that come with it.
You will not need plumbers tape but just do not over tighten the screws

When you get the new cartridge and seals make sure you change the o ring in the base of the body it's in the centre and pushes up aginst the cartridge or the hot will bypass the cartridge and the shower head will drip constantly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back