Back Boiler Ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a service engineer out to service a back boiler in a property I currently let.

He said the ventilation to the boiler wasn't suitable and it should be a "Stadium Vent" it currently has a 9" x 4" vent into the floor.

His parting note was "the best option would be to pull all out and stick in a combi"

No one has mentioned this to me in the past regarding the ventilation and I've owned the property for a few years.

Doe's any of the above ring true ?

Sponsored Links
You're going to have to measure up the vent you got now to what the manufacture requires, if it's undersized (less then 90% required) it would be deemed 'At Risk' due to insufficient air in room.

The "pull all out & stick a combi in" is a bit OTT.

Stadium vent? That's like saying McVitties biscuit.
Stadium make umptydozen vents.

main-ventilation.png

Did he say anything like black hole?

your engineer is not ripping you off mate the regulations have been changed and where your floor vent used to be the norm they are frowned upon now, they are still perfectly legal though ( yes ****s before you all start shouting about Radon gas ) but will be classified as Not to current standards, nothing to worry about to be honest

Sponsored Links
if your tennant is on the correct benefits you will qualify for a free combi install under the ECO deal so have a look into that

Thanks for the input, I've got someone coming to see the tenant tomorrow about a new boiler thanks to the government.

It is very unlikely that a 8" -4" vent would have sufficient "open area" to serve a gas fired back boiler/gas fire combination!! why not just upgrade the ventilation?? :confused:

It is very unlikely that a 8" -4" vent would have sufficient "open area" to serve a gas fired back boiler/gas fire combination!! why not just upgrade the ventilation?? :confused:

You are correct, probably >50 cm2.

Easy Fix, Pad saw and new vent.

OR

We plumbing / gas taxpayer's contribute to kick in a new boiler, but don't have a sniff of the market

Decisions, decisions ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back