Decorative Gas Fire Ventilation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a gas fire fitted and serviced without additional room ventilation. for the last 4 years. Once in the past the gas fitter wasn't going to pass the ventilation but showing him the details on the fire he accepted it wasn't necessary and passed it. This year the gas fitter said it must have a hole in the wall. The original installation booklet is contradictory in that it states that the appliance should have at least 100cm2 vent. Immediately underneath it gives the dimensions as being maximum heat output of 6.5KW/hr and states it doesn't need purpose made ventilation unless needed.

My question, do decorative gas fires need a permanent air vent regardless of them being less than 7KW heat output?

Sponsored Links
I don't do much work on fires but from memory I think a DFE (Decorative fuel effect) fire must have 100cm2 ventilation regardless of KW. For other types it would be worked out from the KW in which case under 7kw won't need ventilation as long as flue is pulling with all doors and windows to room shut.
I may be wrong in which case someone will pull me up on it.

I've got to renew my tickets soon so had better brush up on it. I have an employee of mine deal with the fires so as I said I'm not certain.

Are you sure read MI's correctly?

What's the make and model?

I'll be as to get the MI's online and I'll give you a definite answer.

I've had a gas fire fitted and serviced without additional room ventilation. for the last 4 years. Once in the past the gas fitter wasn't going to pass the ventilation but showing him the details on the fire he accepted it wasn't necessary and passed it. This year the gas fitter said it must have a hole in the wall. The original installation booklet is contradictory in that it states that the appliance should have at least 100cm2 vent. Immediately underneath it gives the dimensions as being maximum heat output of 6.5KW/hr and states it doesn't need purpose made ventilation unless needed.

My question, do decorative gas fires need a permanent air vent regardless of them being less than 7KW heat output?

They're not contradictory. You just don't understand them.

What is the information on the days badge?

Along with the make and model.

Sponsored Links
The fire was made by DGF fabrication. It is classed as a Special Decorative Gas Fire. When having it fitted into the chimney wall we had to have alterations done to the 'opening' to allow for draw up the chimney. The spec in the installation book states it is 16" NV Taper Tray, minimum heat input 3KW/hr, maximum 6.5KW/hr and states 'The room containing this Appliance does not need any purpose made ventilation unless needed'. The booklet refers to it being an 'insert fire'.

Meant to say, it doesn't have a model number on the fire or in the documentation and I don't know what a days badge is.. The only thing on the actual fire is NGC and the gas fitter didn't know what that stood for.

The fire was made by DGF fabrication. It is classed as a Special Decorative Gas Fire. When having it fitted into the chimney wall we had to have alterations done to the 'opening' to allow for draw up the chimney. The spec in the installation book states it is 16" NV Taper Tray, minimum heat input 3KW/hr, maximum 6.5KW/hr and states 'The room containing this Appliance does not need any purpose made ventilation unless needed'. The booklet refers to it being an 'insert fire'.

I don''t quite get your original post, but NV is common shorthand for No Ventilation (subject to spillage tests)

Having said that, the efficiency will be minimal. and an affront to society regarding energy conservation

If manufacture states no ventilation then it is not required unless spillage is an issue.

In my opinion (means Jack ****e) all DFE fires should have ventilation due to the nature of the chimney/basket arrangement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back