Basin Overflow Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a second bathroom which has a small basin sink.
I noticed that the overflow had water up to the level of the hole in the sink.
I removed the chrome waste fitting in the sink & noticed that there was no slot in it so hence why the overflow was full with water.
I have purchased the slotted waste and installed it into the basin.
I checked it the next day for leaks & there was a small amount of water passing the black seal on the underside of the basin when i run the tap.
When dry i added a little more silicone to the spot in question & left it to dry.
Next day seal fine but wet around the thread this time in the same area.
I removed the chrome waste fitting again,cleaned up the basin,removed all the silicone & started again.
This morning when i run a little water i noticed yet again there is a small amount of water in the same place as previous times.
I cant see how it is passing the black washer as i put a nice amount of silicone either side of it,not lots but enough to seal 100%
So am i correct in thinking that it is running down the thread if this is possible that is??
Please advise if i did something wrong or what the cause might be as this will now be the third time i will have to do this simple job.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I did watch the video but wish i didnt.
I will pop to b & q and buy this item.
It would of been helpfull if when i purchased the waste to be told that there is a good chance i would not be able to seal it.
I could of then bought the item and done the job once not 3 times etc.
Thanks very much for the advise.
I did think the thread was the issue but did not know how to fix it.

Cheers

Just looking at b & q site
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing...umbSure-Basin-and-Vanity-Bowl-Sealer-11478125

I assume i bin the black washer that i am currently using under the sink.
Use the 3 items on the b & q page and then use my black back nut to hold the basin mate in place.
I only ask as the video does not show using the foam seal which i assume is part of the b & q item.

Please just confirm.
Foam washer goes between waste and basin on top them discard your black rubber and use the black rubber cone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back