BTU struggles - single or double panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A similar post to many seen on here but none quite answer my question.
Your help would be much appreciated.

I am upgrading the radiators in my living room. I require a BTU of approximately 6000 over 2 radiators. Assuming i have all the appropriate draft exclusion/insulation/boiler power my question is this.

:arrow: :arrow: "If the BTU rating of a single panel radiator is the same as that of a double panel radiator what is the advantage of buying double when typically it is more expensive" :?: :!:

---Logic says to me that if they have the same potential heat output they are going to produce the same amount of heat....no????

Sponsored Links
Genuine question indeed.

If you're saying its all about the size to fit the situation do you mean that its purely down to aesthetics? All i'm asking is how is a double panel radiator with a BTU of 3000 is preferable to a single panel radiator with a BTU of 3000.

The double panel rad is half the length of the single rad.

Sponsored Links
The smaller physical size allows doubles to be fitted where singles can't. It's nothing to do with performance. Aesthetics come into it as well. Better to look at a double than have a single panel radiator dominate a room.

If the BTU rating of a single panel radiator is the same as that of a double panel radiator what is the advantage of buying double

Not so..the double panel radiator will give nearly double the output of the same size single radiator. It is not double because where the radiators face each other will not be as efficient as where the panels are in contact with room air.

Thanks for your responses. Aesthetically a longer radiator would actually be preferable in one location as it would fit perfectly under a sizeable window. Just to confirm then - we want 6000 BTU over 2 radiators so there's no reason i couldn't install 1 x 3000 BTU single (under the window) and 1 x smaller 3000 BTU double panel where space is a bit more at a premium.

Milano Aruba - Anthracite Horizontal Designer Radiator 635mm x 1000mm BTU: 3248

Milano Aruba - Anthracite Horizontal Designer Radiator 635mm x 595mm (Double Panel)
BTU: 3344

If that is what the rad output is stated to be, then go ahead. I do hope your calculations are correct. You have a little under 2Kw there.

Excellent thanks 45yearsagasman. You seem surprised that it is a little under 2kw... is that a lot? It's for a room approx 5m X 3m X 2.5m

A double panel with the same output rating as a single will emmit less heat than that of the single panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back