Central heating not working but boiler is fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I put the central heating on a couple of days ago and got no results.

The pipe coming out of the boiler to the CH system was warm for the first few inches and got colder as I followed it towards the floorboards.

It's a Worcester 34cdi combi and is pretty new (less than a year old). I suspect I caused it as I removed an old radiator when decorating, in doing so I damaged the valve and so capped off the pipes as we're going to replace it anyway.

Some water came out of the pipes during the process but I re pressurised the boiler and the hot water is working fine.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
What temperature is the room thermostat set to?

How many of the radiators have TRVs?

Did any air come out when you bled the radiators?

How old are the radiators?

When the boiler was fitted, how long was spent cleaning the system?

Thanks for replying John:

What temperature is the room thermostat set to? 23 normally, though I reduced it down to 5 to try and kick it in but nothing happening.

How many of the radiators have TRVs? Either all or none! All have valves that can be adjusted to regulate the heat in each rad, but they are old (came with the original radiators) so not sure if they are the kind you refer to.

Did any air come out when you bled the radiators? I only bled the rad I was taking out. The others were untouched. I had turned of the valves on the pipework to that, some water came out of one of the pipes, but was quickly capped.

How old are the radiators? Unsure, but certainly not describable as modern. A couple are newer version double panels, but they look like additions to the older system.

When the boiler was fitted, how long was spent cleaning the system? A few hours. Perhaps 4?

to make the heating come on, you have to turn the room thermostat up, not down. See if it clicks when you turn it to 25 or max.

You have set the heating timer/programmer to "on?"

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back