Change tap washer but can't stop water flow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
friends, today i need your solid advice, normally i am the one who is dishing out all bullshit now its your turn! so don't **** me about I want a proper advice from any fully registered or fully unregistered plumber! :LOL:

The story is a bit long, but if you are a boring person and want to bypass the story then go to bottom line in bold!

A friend of mine lives alone, and is incapacitated through lung cancer, :cry: not only that he is also a terrific hoarder, which means he will not allow any professional personnel into his house, only one of his elderly uncle and I am allowed anywhere near inside his house. (makes me feel very privileged!) and who knows he might be leaving his whole estate to me! I could say worth around a million bucks! :) ( Don't call me barsteward, I deserve it and I earned it)

His uncle takes him to hospital whilst i look after his things and try and stop them falling over his head if cancer won't kill him, his piles upon piles of hording things right up to the ceiling will!

So now, well well, his stop cock is buried under tons of items he has been hording such that there is no more room for moving things around, and he won't let me move them any way, he starts panicking when I tried helping him move some of the stuff around to make his life a little more comfortable. When he has to go to bathroom, it is a major struggle through no more than 12" wide stairs left for him to climb through, as even the stairs are full of stuff right to the ceiling! He won't let me take photos, his place really is very interesting.

So now that, his kitchen sink tap has started to leak quite badly, so what he has done is he fitted a rubber attachment over the tap spout, and tightened this attachment with a wing nut that it comes with, sort of jubilee clip with a wing nut!

Then this attachment is further threaded on with I am not sure what you call this bloody thing it has two spouts, and each can be turned off with a small leaver, hence he has managed to stop his leaking tap , but this he did when all was well with him, and he had the energy! and he did it sort of as a temporary measure, simply because no one can get to his stop cock! and the under sink there are no ball valves, this house is traditional English house and build when no balls were even invented! so there is no way any one could have fitted on!

So a couple of days ago (last Sunday) when it had been snowing quite bad, his 2nd attachment leaver broke (not because of snow) and the tap started to gush cold water at full force, so he rang me around 8pm (Sun)

He asked me to come over in all that snow! and that he has a spare 2nd attachment but he hasn't got any more energy to change it as he can hardly stand! due to his medical condition

Now now, wait please , I will eventually come to the bottom, Now i said to him there is a thing called pipe freeze, I have never used it, but I am not sure if anyone has, is it any good and if so is it very costly, and how long before I could open his tap and change his washer, I have not seen the type of tap fitted to his kitchen sink, so I will take its picture and post it here, the next time i go up to him, I suggested to him yo call Thames Water but he is scared of them because of his hording.

He obviously now wants a permanent solution just in case this one also fails, secondly, I also had to tie loads of steel wire around the rubber fitting to stop it sliding off despite the wind nut being fully tightened and I am no plumber, so i don't have the long reach key that I could turn the water off from the street myself! Pipe Freeze is what i am looking at for now!:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Well if it's that old it might all be old imperial stuff so you need to fit a ball valve in case you get stuck. Then you can fart around until your heart is content. You only get about half an hour with a pipe freeze.

Sponsored Links
Turn all the other taps on and change it live. :eek:

If it floods the floor, he won't notice because of all the debris. Will probably soak it up anyway. ;)

I am for that, I thought about diverting some pressure away from the kitchen tap, and open his garden tap, that is if he has one, atm I can't even get into his garden due to hording stuff all around, just enough room to stand and make a cup of tea, and may be cook an egg on the traditional old style grill, he has no CH, uses the old gas fire!

Yes I would like to have done live as I have done at my own house once when I couldn't turn off my stop cock as it had got jammed badly, and needed so much force to turn that the handle broke! so I had to change a washer on my bath tap live, luckily i opened all the bottom taps in the kitchen sink, and those in the bath tub, and so only a little water gushed out which was manageable with a bit of rag over to stop it splashing about,

So yes

Turn all the other taps on and change it live. :eek:

If it floods the floor, he won't notice because of all the debris. Will probably soak it up anyway. ;)

I am for that, I thought about diverting some pressure away from the kitchen tap, and open his garden tap, that is if he has one, atm I can't even get into his garden due to hording stuff all around, just enough room to stand and make a cup of tea, and may be cook an egg on the traditional old style grill, he has no CH, uses the old gas fire!

Yes I would like to have done live as I have done at my own house once when I couldn't turn off my stop cock as it had got jammed badly, and needed so much force to turn that the handle broke! so I had to change a washer on my bath tap live, luckily i opened all the bottom taps in the kitchen sink, and those in the bath tub, and so only a little water gushed out which was manageable with a bit of rag over to stop it splashing about,

So yes

Have done it several times when unable to isolate supply and in a hurry. As you say, easier with upstairs taps. If he has an outside tap, you're in with a chance.

thanks Joe for that link from screw fix, now if any of you fancy a chance to inherit a million bucks estate, get down to his place now and fix his tap, if you do a proper good job then who knows he might add you to his will, I am already one foot in!

No No that's naughty, I feel ever so sorry for this guy, he is the one who taught me Electronics, 35 years ago, used to work together in a Fire Alarm company. It is pity that he has worked so hard all his life, and never drank alcohol! and never smoked, never went to discos, or clubbing, and never met a girl of his type, so remained bachcolar (spell) the kind he wanted, and now sadly since November he was diagnosed with this dreadful disease, and already to make room for his elderly Uncle so that he doesn't have to hope over objects, (29" Brand new TVs digital, several of them, I added around 3 grands worth of stuff he has given me to store at my house! and he said I can use it if I wanted to, but I have not touched his stuff

So the tap is still gushing at full force is it?

Not any more as he had this spare attachment but asked me to come over at around 8pm on Sunday, so I managed to put it on for him, it was a little tricky, but he was adamant that I put it one his way exactly!

I did that took me about 1/2 hours by the time I undid the old one as it as wrapped with turns of wire, but the next hour and half, I cleaned (washed) all his cuttlery, plates, dishes, one was smelling real awful, he was grateful that I came out to him in all that snow, but i am not sure weather i will go down in his will! Hey I am almost his age, I might have heart attack now and go before he does!

if I were to go ahead and use the freezing stuff, is it relatively easy to use?

what is this stuff, a spray can, possibly with a nozzle and you inject into the sleeve? I guess the sleeve wraps around the pipe, never done it before but I am sure I could manage with instructions supplied with the item.

Thanks to all the inputs, and please peace to all, remember my friend, and if you are religious, offer prayers for him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back