Chasing Water Pipes into Masonry - Noise Prevention

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I need to chase on both hot and cold water pipes into a masonry wall and run from ceiling to floor. There is not an option to box these pipes in.

I will chase a slot big enough so a pipe clip can be used, but is there any further noise prevention that can be used?

Wall over the top will be cement board then tiles. No joins will be in the submerged part of the wall!

I was of using expanding foam to surround the pipework and then trimming it flush to the wall before cement boarding.

Bit I do not know if this will have any adverse effects, possible even making the noise worse?

Any help or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What kind of noise are you worried about? If the pipes are clipped, I can't see that there will be any noise anyway. Once its boarded and tiled it should be fine.

Hi Squeaky thanks for the reply.

I have a whole house pump installed, which is fine for when pipes are well supported and no potential to touch surrounding surfaces. Given the minimal slot I want to chase into the masonry, I was thinking of additional precautions to prevent any vibration.

Do you think normal pipe clips would be good enough? Or are there special clips for pipes chased into masonry?

No problem at all to use expanding foam and will fill all gaps around the pipes therefore stopping any movement and noise that could arise from loose pipes.

Sponsored Links
Hi ALC, thanks for feedback.

Would any expanding foam do? I have heard a select few say not to use expanding foam, but they haven't actually given any reasons for this.

Are there any downsides?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back