Do push fit stop ends fail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've shut off two pipes from my downstairs toilet sink and put push fit stop ends on the end - however I'm about re-plaster the wall and fit kitchen units/worktops when it's dawned to me; what if the push fits aren't a permanent solution and fail? And subsequently flood the house! :confused:

Any advice would be much appreciated,

cheers

Sponsored Links
Push fit fittings shouldn't fail, however, a better solution would be to use a compression fitting, or, even better, a soldered stop end.

It's no different to having a push fit tee or elbow fitted in theory.

However if it is permanent and not accessible, personally I would use compression stopends.

Sponsored Links
If you really want to do it properly, trace the pipes back to where the branches for what was the downstairs basin originate and terminate them there. Preferably by changes "Ts" to straight couplings, or by capping the stubs. Either way preferably with soldered fittings.

If you just cap them where they originally came out, you may be leaving long lengths of pipe with water in them, which is not terribly hygienic.

must be billions of compression fittings hidden on water and leak rate is miniscule if not touched .
It is not unusual for push fit to blow off after water has been tuned off and back on

As said, while in theory push fits are considered permanent, a compression or better still soldered joint are more reliable.

must be billions of compression fittings hidden on water and leak rate is miniscule if not touched .
It is not unusual for push fit to blow off after water has been tuned off and back on

Maybe so. ... but doesn't make it right or to be recommended.

Millions smoked. It used to be encouraged. Not everyone died from it.

They should be ok if fitted correctly. However i would always use compression or soldered if long term just for my own piece on mind!

Dan they dont recommend compression for gas in a house yet they are standard on gas services externally which have at least 3 times the pressure are hidden and are subject to far more movement than you would ever get inside a property yet very very rarely leak.

So where is the logic in the ruling ?

When was the last time you had to attend a properly made compression joint on water that just started leaking ?

Pushfits shouldn't fail if used correctly, however a solder ring/yorkshire end cap and cheap DIY blowtorch with flux should be more permanent. I believe you should avoid dead pipework by cutting back as much as possible but doubt most people do this.

Do you not need the pipes for whatever is going in there instead?

Great, thanks for the replies. A local plumber is coming round to fit some compression stop ends.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back