Elderly Parkray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone here can help.
I have been asked to sort out the poor performance of an elderley Parkray (G model I believe).It is in a rented property,the landlord assures me it was working fine last winter,but now heats only the hot water-the rads getting only tepid after a long period.

I replaced the pump which was knocking badly,checked cold feed not blocked and lit a good fire.

it took a long while for the primary flow to get hot-say 25 mins after the fire was established,then,when the pump was turned on,all the heat in the flow pipes disappeared-as you would expect,but did not recover,-ie the back boiler was not keeping up with system demand.I stayed for an hour or so,but no improvement.

I initially thought the boiler was scaled up but I have read about the throat plate/baffle position being important-any help would be appreciated-I am struggling to find info on this type of fire- my experience is around oil and gas set ups.
thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Parkray G's can chuck out a surprising amount of heat. The HW cylinder is unlikely to be a quick recovery one and should be gravity circulation, so the rads are a significantly greater load on the system and will show up a scaled heat exchanger or any airlock etc on the rad pipes.

If the HW is working then it's unlikely to be the throat/bafffle plate, but with no CH load and the fire going full tilt the back of the firebox should be approaching red-hot.

Thanks-going to do another test run on monday- crossed fingers it is not a scaled-up boiler-replacement is not an easy,or cheap option!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back