Fitting recessed mixer shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a recessed mixer shower into my bathroom wall which backs onto the upstairs landing.

It's a 1930s house - wall is made of blocks - and I was thinking instead of just chasing out a cavity in the bathroom for shower, cut a hole right through. Then fit a small door or panel in landing wall which would provide access to back of mixer for cleaning / maintenance, plus I was thinking I could have isolation valves in the pipes here too.

Is this a sound plan? What kind of support (if any) would I need after cutting the hole which I guess would be about 200mm square or there about.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Simply..... No. That's a terrible idea on so many levels. For heavens sake, it's people who think like this that cause trains to crash and boats to sink.
A mixer valve requires a solid support. They do not require isolation valves and how in the world would you waterproof the tiling with a 200 mm square hole behind it unless you were lucky enough to be placing the valve directly in the center of a large tile, which would still be a lousy idea. Why would you want an access door in the middle of the landing wall?
I am constantly undoing these types of do it yourself bodges for people who move into houses and need things done correctly.
Incidentally, flush mixer valves are all serviceable from the front.

That's a bit harsh.
Yes! I thought your idea was rather clever... but then I've never installed a concealed mixer. It's people who think like this that have come up with useful innovations too ;)

Surface mounting (with concealed pipework) is a lot easier to DIY well and can look neat enough if done the right way.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back