Glowworm ultrapower six PCB fuse blows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help me before I finally bite the bullet and call out an engineer. My boiler suddenly stopped working due to a complete loss of power.
I've tested the power flow and it is present on one side of the internal "mini fuse" and not the other.
The fuse is an odd custom one which I've had to order online for £4 each! (I got two).

I'm sure that when I put a new one in it will blow straight away, as there must be a REASON the original one blew.

Can anyone recommend a good place to look for a short circuit (and what I'm looking for!) to find a short before I loose my new fuses in two vain attempts?

The boiler is about 4 years old.

Thank you so much for your time reading/replying.

Sponsored Links
Probably to do with power surge when power came back on. It's only a few quid. If it blows again time for a gas safe engineer.

It`s blowing because a component within your boiler is short circuiting,you cannot fix this yourself unless you know how to find the circuit responsible. Do you have power to your p.c.b? I assume you are talking about fuses on your p.c.b board?

There is power on one end of the fuse on the PCB, but obviously not the other as it is blown. There is no power on a plug which a sticker tells me is the positive and negative power test point (I assume this must be a later part of the circuit).

I can't see any visual sign of short on the pcb, though I guess it could be underneath.

Very frustrating that it is probably something super simple yet we're going to need to call out an expensive engineer.

I'm loathed to just try the other fuse without changing something first simply as it would be another few days wait to order more from eBay, and my pregnant wife won't put up with no hot water/heating much longer!

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.

Sponsored Links
i would start by checking polarity onto the board and that you have a good connection and a good earth.

If this is ok i would take every plug off the PCB apart from the power in and see what happens. If it blows again and the supply is ok, its most likely a PCB issue. If it doesnt blow, start plugging things in one at a time and see which one takes it out.

I presume it doesnt go to operate before it blows? or is it only blowing on demand?

Piers

Very frustrating that it is probably something super simple yet we're going to need to call out an expensive engineer.

I know you don't want to call out an engineer, but the chances are it "could" be either a faulty part on the boiler, eg fan, pump or a faulty PCB.

If you're getting grief from the other half then maybe the problem would be solved quicker if you did.

If it blows again time for a gas safe engineer

Why`s that? most of `em couldn`t wire a plug never mind test anything electrical within the boiler. :rolleyes:

Wow, I am amazed, you rip out Surestops on a daily basis and you can wire a plug!! Awesome, you'll have to teach me sometime. I take it your probably too smart to be Gas Safe Registered?

James

I know you don't want to call out an engineer, but the chances are it "could" be either a faulty part on the boiler, eg fan, pump or a faulty PCB.

If you're getting grief from the other half then maybe the problem would be solved quicker if you did.

A half decent engineer will also have some spare fuses.

James.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back