Heating Sticking On - Electrical or Sticky Valve???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi (and a Happy New Year to one and all),

I'm hoping somebody can give us some advice to try and resolve our issue once and for all. We have a Potterton Suprima 80 boiler. That has been problematic in the past and has a new PCB twice. The hot water cylinder also has had a new PCB. These have helped with various issues and generally things are better but a problem remains. I should also point out that we have a service contract with British Gas. We haven't contacted them for some time as we've only recently started using the heating again over the Winter and it's only then does the problem arise. The actuator has also been replaced.

The current situation is that the heating will sometimes stick on. What I have observed is as follows:

- when we didn't have the heating on most of last year there is no problem. water heats up as and when necessary and heating does not come on

- when we have heating on it regualtes itself and goes on and off as per the Drayton thermostat settings

- when the heating is on (and I mean the boiler is actually fired up and supplying heating) and somebody say runs a bath or has a shower I assume the hot water cylinder calls for more hot water. This is when the problem occurs. The heating will stick on at this point and if left for long enough the temperature will rise to 22C or higher even if the thermostat may be at 20 or 19 or whatever. When I notice this I can switch off the mains power to the boiler and leave for a bit and then switch back on

I am no expert on this stuff but would really really liked it resolved properly. Does this seem likely to be an electrical issue with the valve when it is in the Mid position? Or could it be something like sludge or gunk causing the valve to stick when it is in the Mid position?

It seems likely to be one of these two things to me but I'm sure I could be wrong and there may be something else going on.

Anyone? Help much apprecaited.

Sponsored Links
I took a photo with my mobile as it was impossible to get in there to see and I found the code Hsv3b28. Googled this and it appears to be a Danfoss Hsv3b28.

The actuator is a Sunvic SD 2701F if that's any help.

Sunvic actuator's are notorious for going wrong, i'd hazard a guess thats where the problem lies. Valve remains open to both heating and hot water ports, and boiler will continue to fire until HW is satisfied. With the flow being shared between CH and HW it'll take longer for HW to reach temp and shut off boiler, hence house then becomes uncomfortably warm.....

I had a Sunvic SDM 1901 Unishare valve, gave exactly the same problem. Removed from pipework and placed on the floor it behaved perfectly. Replaced and system refilled then didnt want to know! Replaced with a Honeywell V4073, not been a problem since!

Sponsored Links
If you are setting your heating to continuous or long periods I have found
the 3 port valves very prone to sticking in central heating only.

So when you run the hot water the cylinder calls for heat but never receives
any as the valve is stuck in central heating only so the boiler heats and heats regardless of what the wall thermostat is saying.

Replace the 3 port valve although I have had brand new valves do this.

Many thanks for all the replies. I will get British Gas out to see if they can fix it this time...

Presumably the system has to be drained for this work to be done? If so how long would this take and out of curiosity, just how much water is in there???

I will post back with whatver happens as this may be useful for someone else going through similar issues. Thanks again.

Many thanks for all the replies. I will get British Gas out to see if they can fix it this time...

Presumably the system has to be drained for this work to be done? If so how long would this take and out of curiosity, just how much water is in there???

I will post back with whatver happens as this may be useful for someone else going through similar issues. Thanks again.

You'll be going nowhere fast then if you have British Gas I suggest you give them the push. Pay peanuts get monkeys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back