Height adjustable sink-flexible pipe & water/electric co

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I'm new here. In the process of slowly and on the cheap doing up my house to be more accessible and also beautiful - I'm disabled and both use a wheelchair and have difficulty with use of my arms. While I can do some DIY things physically myself, often I need to explain to others what I want to happen, but I enjoy the creative process!

I'm trying to work out a way to get an electrically height adjustable sink as part of a dressing table unit. My bathroom isn't big enough for a sink that I can actually use (just a tiny hand washing basin). The height adjustable sinks aimed at disabled people are both ugly and very expensive (2 grand or thereabouts) and I think I can do it for less. Please do point out any error in my plans! I particularly need help knowing what sort of flexible piping to use.

In order to get an electric height adjustable desk, I got a Conset wall mounted mechanism, and attached an IKEA table top. It works great, although I had to adjust the up/down buttons so I could actually press them - the ones delivered I couldn't operate. Clearly I had to ensure that the computer cables etc were wired in a way that didn't get caught, and which were fine to move across the height range.

I hope to use a second Conset wall mounted electric mechanism (http://www.conset.or...57/default.aspx) and put a small sink (probably http://www.ikea.com/...ucts/S69894059/ or something very similar) and a flat section to use as a dressing table, on the top. Possibly with drawers (same sort of height as the sink) so that the depth of the moving 'top' is the same all the way across.

Is there any reason not to do this? It is powered by just plugging into the wall with a regular plug - should I not do this with a sink because it's electricity and water, or will it be okay so long as the plug is a bit away? I'm struggling to work out how the 'off the shelf' products can justify being so much more expensive, and wondering if I'm missing something?!

Plumbing is already there for a regular sink. What sort of piping should I get in order to allow the mechanism to move and up and down, and the sink to work (and the pipe not get obstructed) at any point?

Many thanks for any suggestions/help/advice on this :) ... hope to get to know the boards here over time as the house is going to be a long (and very enjoyable) project to sort.

Sponsored Links
Please, anyone? Did I post in the wrong forum or break a golden rule or something...?

I'd love to know if there is
a) some kind of total safety disaster in putting a small sink onto a regular height adjustable unit and
b) what sort of piping you'd recommend for the plumbing to the sink to be flexible enough for regular movement

Anyone done anything similar or have any thoughts?

Should be possible to rig up some sort of 'Heath Robinson' affair for water supplies, waste may be more tricky though. Flexible pipes are available that, with some care, should allow enough movement. :cool:

My biggest concern is having water and electricity in close proximity, the electricians would be better to advise you on that part of the grand scheme of things. :) May need to be wired into a fused connection unit well away from the 'wet area' but then there's the issue of keeping the motor area dry. :confused:

The hot and cold supply wouldn't be a problem at all - look at Screwfix 90671 for 1 metre long flexible pipes.
The waste would be a real problem I think - even if 40mm flexible pipe 27334 was used horizontally then the maximum movement would be about 75mm, and that may not be enough.
I can't see any sort of telescopic waste created from what we normally use to be a success as there would be a tendency for jamming and leakage.
A small bore waste such as a washing machine drain hose may be a possibility, but that would be slow and prone to soap blockage......like the other flexible pipes, they are around 22mm in diameter.
We need to find some sort of flexible large diameter hose that wouldn't kink or come adrift......I'm sure some sort of connection to the sink waste could be cobbled together.
The water trap could be remote from the sink though so that wouldn't be an issue.
Best wishes with your project!
John :)

Sponsored Links
Hang on, flexible delivery hose 40487 (Screwfix) is 1.5" and 10105 is 1.25" diameter so I reckon that could be secured (somehow) to a basin waste using flexy coupling 81383 at both ends......food for thought!

Regarding the electrical supply I'm sure it wouldn't take a genius to work out how to use foot type switches such as Maplins FH93B or the large rocker type DU99H (which probably will need a relay too).
Presumably the mobile desk top has its own travel limit switches anyway.
Its doubtful whether the desk surface would be suitable for continuous water splash though - maybe a laminate top would be better.

Brilliant. Thanks for your help, both.

Yes, definetly some sort of laminate top or other top designed for a bathroom around a sink. The electric portion is intended for a desk, but so long as the weight limit isn't exceeded, it sounds like using it for a sink/dressing table/vanity unit will work.

Thanks for the suggestions on the pipes - looks good. http://www.livingmadeeasy.org.uk/personal care/adjustable-height-wash-basins-383-p/ are most of the comercially available height adjustable sinks - not all of them are electric, but that's what I need. They seem to use flexible piping - and the screwfix suggestions look like they'll do the job well. From looking at the pictures on that link again, I think they've used conventional waste immediatly under the sink and then attached that to flexible waste at the back, which I guess would probalby make the connection easier/under less stress. There are some other pictures here, which possibly give any clearer indication of what the commercial units use - http://www.ropox.com/uk/private-homes/shower-room/mississippi.html, http://www.ropox.com/data/products/1134/Basis Washbasin_UK_07-2009.pdf

Here, there is a kit for a flexible basin... although it might be uneconomical and defeat the object http://www.ropox.com/uk/produkter_hidden_/flexi-haandvask.html

I'll go over to the electrics forum and check about that - the unit I hope to use has a reasonably long flex, and just plugs in to a 3 pin socket, although it does have an actuator and a few cable links which are (necessarily) very closed to where I hope to have this sink.

The unit does have it's own travel limits, yes. Were you suggesting the switches as an alternative to the provided ones which I couldn't use? That's a good idea - they charged quite a bit for the alternative buttons - will look into that.

Thanks so much for your help - feel more sure it'll all be fine... now to sort the finer details

Good evening Esther
My idea about the foot operated switches was merely a thought to make the basin motor controls remote from wet hands - I'm sure that there will be other methods too.
So, we can assume that the fresh water supply is no longer a problem, and so long as the existing drainage outlet isn't higher than the basins lowest position then flexible drainage tubing would be the way to go.
An interesting project - I'd be delighted to hear of any updates.

I'm wondering if an option for the waste could be to use the hose as suggested by Burnerman, but using BSP fittings at either end such as these: http://www.intricoproducts.com/catalogue_water_pumpmale.html Polypropylene versions are reasonable priced, and should be ample for this requirement.

Provided they were securely fitted to the hose there should be little pressure in there for them to leak. Female end on waste, male end into appropriate trap on the waste pipe, assuming sufficient depth of thread available on the waste to accept the female end.

Hydraulic hose came to mind, but the price may prove prohibitive, I wonder if it would have the required degree of flexibility though. One plus point, it'll never burst under pressure in this application! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back