Hot Water issue - Potterton Puma 80e

Why would a dead leg cause poor flow? I've never had a mains pressure pipe air lock like a gravity one can with trapped air. The mains power just pushes it through and out.

Sponsored Links
The trapped air in the two dead legs acts as a spring...so when the taps are turned on the water flow rate is initially a little higher as the compressed air in the dead leg adds to the dynamic pressure from the main. The underlying flowrate is still poor but air in the dead legs adds to the confusion.

Just open all the old unused outlets and bleed out the air...ideally they should be cut back.

Geof, the water in Reading is significantly harder than London.

I am not sure if Mike is familiar with descaling the hot water tube in the Puma. Many don't want to get involved in these messy tasks!

But first the flow to the diverter valve inlet needs to be measured!

To me these are all very basic boiler diagnostic tests.

Tony

The trapped air in the two dead legs acts as a spring...so when the taps are turned on the water flow rate is initially a little higher as the compressed air in the dead leg adds to the dynamic pressure from the main. The underlying flowrate is still poor but air in the dead legs adds to the confusion.

Just open all the old unused outlets and bleed out the air...ideally they should be cut back.

I see what you mean now, like a mini accumulator. I thought you were implying that the dead legs were causing the low pressure :).

Sponsored Links

OK, I'll get nPower to come and do this - they didn't phone yesterday anyway.

I don't want to cut back the dead legs as in the future someone may want to use them, as they are in useful places. Would putting maintenance valves on them near to the boiler be an option.

I don't want to cut back the dead legs as in the future someone may want to use them, as they are in useful places. Would putting maintenance valves on them near to the boiler be an option.

So hot service for each outlet/dead leg has been run separately from boiler?...me not think so. ;)

So hot service for each outlet/dead leg has been run separately from boiler?...me not think so. ;)

No but all the pipe work radiates from the cupboard in which the boiler is in. One deadleg heads upstairs and isn't used whilst all the remaining pipework is downstairs!

They are nota maintenance issue for NPower to deal with.

You could use a service valve to isolate them.

Time is passing so what is the repair situation now?

Tony

There has been an error on their computer system which means they didn't contact me. I have been busy at work this wee so haven't been able to chase them.

I did yesterday and they still didn't phone me back. Have chased again this morning and they will phone me back today.

They are sending the gas tech out. Just don't know when!

The engineers notes from the last visit were..."Blockage in system please send gas tech to identify where it is"!

I will update when I have more.

Clearly the last engineer was not capable enough to identify the real fault.

Tony

So they are not coming until Friday. They wanted to come on Tuesday but I couldn't be here so the next available was Friday. What ever happens they need to remove the air from the system anyway, it is a bit better (the air) but still there.

I am slightly frustrated with the progress but at the same time at least they are recognising an issue, they were not before! Just that they wouldn't fix it.

So this sounds slight incomprehensible but the boiler now seems to have returned to normal operation...this evening... the gas tech is due tomorrow.

The only difference now is that all the air has worked its way out of the system. So maybe the part was at fault and the fact it wasn't bled properly post fitting was the issue.

We do have one outstanding issue, the water is too hot, no matter where you turn the temperature control on the boiler that doesn't seem to work, so I will get them to look at that, plus the fact they seem to have broken the timer clock on the boiler (not the end of the world as we have a thermostat and timer in one anyway and the boiler is just switched to constant but it's not the point).

The flow rate is about 7 litres a minute...I know this is slightly lower than expected but we are on a shared main (200 year old house) but it is certainly better than it was (about double) and much better than a couple of days ago.

I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow.

A couple of slight edits...the flow switch is obviously working correctly as when turning on a hot tap the initial flow is high it then slows right down and then speeds up again followed by the hot water a couple of moments later.

Also the cold water tap no longer makes the flow switch click on and off...

I am slightly looking forward to saying I told you so tomorrow! (With all the help of the people on here of course) I look forward to writing them a long letter of complaint!

Well he has just finished. He has done lots of checks and it does now seem to be working as it should. The water is a bit hot. He had a flow meter and a temperature sensor.

The Hot Water flow is about 8l a minute.
The cold is about 14l a minute.
The cold water temp is about 15 degrees.
The hot water temp is about 55 degrees.

He said it should increase the water temp by about 35 degrees and it was obviously slightly higher than that, he checked all the modulation and it was modulating but the dial on the front of the boiler is not very effective.

Going to order a new timer at their expense as broken by the previous engineer.

Otherwise we seem to be back to normal - he did indicate that the air in the dead legs could have caused the system not to operate properly and now this has gone it is flowing correctly.

Anyway I am pleased we have it back to working and grateful for all the help provided on here.

Well done persevering until they got it sorted out.

So much for their sticking with their diagnosis of a scaled up main heat exchanger and needing a new boiler! I never expected that was the problem but I am aware the water in reading is quite hard and so it was a remote possibility.

Few people will bother and most just go wit a new boiler. Thus encouraging them to make up these stories. Some even believe that is th problem though.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back