Potterton Puma 80e Hot Water issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Bought our house around 5 years ago and inherited a Potterton Puma 80e.

To date we've have a replacement PCB and 2 replacement pumps.

The CH seems to functioning fine. However, when trying to run hot water, the boiler will produce hot water for a short time and will then lockout. The boiler can be reset and will then produce hot water for a short time again.

As I'm away a lot we've had British Gas cover for the last 12 months and with this fault they have replaced a microswitch and also the pump but have now said that there is nothing much further that they can do and are recommending a new boiler!

I've mentioned this to a few engineers including those previous to BG but I'd say the water used to run too hot at times so I'd suspect overheating to be related to or causing the problem of the lockouts. Anybody any suggestions on how to approach things with British Gas or is the best solution to get an independent engineer with more 80e experience?

Thanks in advance,

David

Sponsored Links
This is a completely repairable boiler and all the main parts are available for your model.

Pressurise them to repair it ( with a better engineer ).

If they insist on refusing then ask them whats wrong and write it down in front of them so you have a record. Of course they dont know and that will put them on the spot and establish that they dont have the required skill to repair it!

Then call an independent to repair it and start a long complaints process against BG !!!

Tony

It could be something as simple as a faulty hot water temp sensor.

If you are competent with a test meter you could even measure the resistance with the boiler cold yourself.

Should be about 13k.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi,

To date we've have a replacement PCB and 2 replacement pumps.

David

Over five years you will have paid around £1000 for that cover!

I would have charged about £555 for those three repairs in my local area! And I would have been able to fix it this time too!

Tony

Tony, I'll try measuring the resistance later this evening.

We've only had the BG cover for the last 12 months really just for peace of mind as I've been away so much so the cost isn't as bad as you mention. I do take your point though that over the years the cost will mount up and clearly someone with the correct experience will diagnose and fix faults far more cost effectively. Once this issue is repaired, I'll be cancelling the BG cover and going back to using an independent.

Tell BG that if they can not fix it that you will call Potterton out and if they can fix it then you expect BG to pay the bill, they will move fast enough to sort it out then

Do Potty still fix Pumas?

They are mostly at least 15 years old now.

One of the pilot assemblies is apparently now obsolete!

Tony

The saga continues.

Since the central heating has been used less, there have been far fewer lockouts when using hot water.

British Gas have said it needs a new heat exchanger which they are saying they cannot obtain.

If it's sludge is there any possibility that powerflushing the whole system including the hot water side could provide any benefit? If I was going to replace the boiler then I would be getting the system flushed anyway. The estimate seems to be that the boiler is up to 15 years old. I would really prefer not to have to replace it at this time though.

Well I don't think it needs changing!

I have only ever replaced one heat exchanger on one of that model and that was because it was leaking!

But done many other types of repair!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back