is solar water heating worth it 'financially'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing up an old house which needs a lot of work. I am upgrading and insulating considerably with sheeps wool and im allready seeing huge benefits in the rooms that are done. Ive put in a new condensing gas boiler so I am considering the enviroment, and my bills.

I am away to put in a mains pressure cyclinder with a solar coil but im not sure about putting the solar system in straight away.

I was going to use the Grants Sahara system which will cost me trade about £2500. I have just read a a government document from the energy saving trust which suggests an annual saving on gas of £55 a year when switching to solar water heating!

Surely savings must be better than that before its viable?

Sponsored Links
That sounds about right to be honest. I haven't noticed a significant reduction in our gas bills since I fitted the 20 tube array on our roof 3 years ago.

On the other hand you could do it yourself for around £700 and have an enjoyable project with the knowledge that you have done your little bit for the environment. On hot summer days ours heats the water to around 55 degrees; I've only seen it exceed 60 twice and both were gloroiusly hot sunny days late in May.

You can read about my project here:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=255833&start=0

Thanks Rigidraider I have seen some similar ideas to what you have done on you tube people saying solar shouldnt be the cost it is. This also puts me off as I think in time commercial solar will become a lot cheaper. Im not sure I'd have the skilss to do what you have done but may give it a bash once the long list of stuff to do is shorter!

Thanks for your inspiration.......

The problem is we don't have the climate for solar, and never will. The carbon tax we have to pay doesn't get used for what it should be so don't expect to get it cheap.

Sponsored Links
Once someone comes up with snow power we'll be sorted up here!

Cheers

Its normally considered in the southern parts of UK that you can save about £120-£150 on water heating over gas if you have a family of four or more using water.

That will be reduced a bit in Scotland by the lower incident heat.

It can still give a good return on the cost of the hardware but with professional installation that becomes a bit thinner.

It is the only green system which is justifiable. Most of the others have loopholes!

For anyone with more expensive fuels like LPG or oil the saving becomes higher.

The return on capital becomes higher as fuel costs rise which is the expectation for the next 10 years!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back