Luke warm water fron cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to everyone,

I have a old Concord boiler which works fine and heats the house perfectly.

Now though, it is not heating the the water in the cylinder properly.
The valve is 2 years old and works fine and when I put the boiler on hot water only the pipes from the boiler to the tank are red hot within minutes.
But I am only getting luke warm water after leaving the boiler on for hours.

The water cylinder is an old Hercal tank, my questions is, do hot water cylinders get blocked to the point that they need replacing.

The fact that my rads got hot and the pipes to the cylinder got hot, leads me to believe it must be a blockage in the cylinder, but at £200 for a new one I would appreciate your advise.

Look forward to hearing your opinions.

Sponsored Links
Check that the small header tank in attic is approx one third full of water, if not it is probably due to the balll valve being stuck.

It probably is a blockage somewhere on the hot water circuit.

The blockage might be in return pipework at the coil, but it can be cleaned out so no need to renew the cylinder.

If the cold feed for the central heating system tee's into the hot water circuit then that would be the first place to check.

The only way to find out is to strip out the pipes returning from the cylinder. You could try placing a small magnet on the pipes at the point of the suspected blockage. If the magnet sticks to the copper then you'll know theres magnetite sludge in the pipe.

If the flow pipe going into the cylinder is hot is the return pipe underneath getting hot aswell? Whats your cylinder stat set at?

Sponsored Links
Such an old boiler and cylinder would cost about £2200 to replace and would save about 30% on your gas bill.

In contrast a bank pays you just 3% if you are lucky!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back