Noisy central heating pipes (ecotec plus 428)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My open vent system boiler (ecotec plus 428) is a year old. It replaced an old back boiler. The system was fully flushed. The system is much more efficient (as you'd expect) but I have a very annoying problem.

The pipes underneath my bedroom floorboards are very noisy (a loud ticking noise, sometimes distant banging when the boiler is firing).

This wakes me up in the morning. My old system never did this, the pipes are the same.

I've read all the various posts and have some questions.

I discovered from another thread that if I set the water to come on AFTER the heating, very hot water wouldn't divert into the pipes and this made a dramatic reduction in tapping / expanding noise (to almost nothing) first thing in the morning.

I would like to try and stop the noise at all times (when the system is at temperature)

The noise may be due to pipe expansion against the timber floor joists, but it never used to do this. OK, the water may be hotter. It doesn't noticeably decrease if I reduce the water temp (69 degrees now, boiler set at 28kw).

The installer says there is Sentinel 200 in the system. If I add another litre is there a chance it will reduce the noise?

I can't easily lift the boards because they are stripped, and a stud wall crosses them (to create an en-suite) so putting felt around the pipes isn't really an option.

This morning the tapping/ ticking pipes happened again at 4.30am even though there was no demand for water or heat. The Boiler was firing, the water cylinder was hot even though it was timed to off. Any ideas why this could happen?

Any help welcome!

Sponsored Links
This morning the tapping/ ticking pipes happened again at 4.30am even though there was no demand for water or heat. The Boiler was firing, the water cylinder was hot even though it was timed to off. Any ideas why this could happen?

What time is the hot water and heating due to come on in the morning?

Andy

Hi,
Would say the 4:30 thing is possibly a faulty zone valve. Is the boiler now on all the time without demand?
If the pies are rubbing up against wood the only way to sort it is to get to them I would think, had one job once that we took down part of the ceiling below to get to pipes, it was less costly than to wreck the floor above.

Sponsored Links
The domestic hot water is timed for 30 mins after the heating. This morning that was 7.15am. I don't think a valve is faulty.

When the boiler is firing and the pump is running is when the pipes are noisy / ticking.

I have tried turning all the rads off except the bedroom and ensuite to divert all the flow there and annoyingly the noise stopped under these conditions. That could be coincidence. But with all the hot water there I would have expected very pronounced expansion noise.

So I'm wondering if the ticking is cold water meeting hot in the pipes (kettling?) and whether a dose of Sentinel 200 would help?

I don't want to add if more Sentinel if it won't achieve anything. I suspect there has been quite a turnover of water in the sytem in 12 months as I do hear the condenser pump (boiler is in the basement) and header tank empty / fill regularly (daily).

Any thoughts on adding more Sentinel?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back