Old stop cock connection – needs replacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in an old house early 1900 where there are 4 dwelling houses, in the below picture you will see the water valve which isolates my neighbours water supply. Basically this daisy chains into each house and I’m second in line. Obviously it looks very suspect and I wouldn’t even dream of trying to turn the valve.

The problem I have is that this is going underground to my neighbours house, I plan on breaking up the slab on top of this pipe and relaying a new one to put a sturdy shed on.

Does anyone know what type of pipe this is, it looks like iron by the rust, I would ideally like to get some fittings to replace this valve and section under my concrete slab to save having to break up at a later date if a fault should develop. But at a loss which type I would require. My end is copper, which then goes into this body so could easily attach something to this, it’s what is under the slab which I’m unsure of all I can see is iron at this stage.

I plan on running a direct feed to my house and getting the water board to connect to the mains at a later date, but for now I want to reduce the likelihood of a failure and the chances of having to tear up my slab.

Sponsored Links
Right I have found the supply pipe and appears to be iron which is in a pretty bad way.

I have spoken with a plumber friend who tells me the chances of joining this are slim as its too far gone, and the best bet is to leave it alone as there is only one option to replace with mdpe.

I tend to agree with him, but wonder if anyone else on here has had this issue before, and found a solution other than running all the way back to the main stop cock, which in this case is on my neighbors property and supplies four properties.

There are universal transition couplings available to go from iron to MDPE but it's a bit dodgy IMHO, MDPE back to the supply would be best

Sponsored Links
I will phone the water board on Tuesday to see what their stance is on this, but from what I've seen on the internet none of the fittings would work on this old pipe because of the corrosion which has taken place making for a very irregular circumference.

I will place some MDPE under the slab just in case it must be reconnected in the near future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back