Orientation of Isolating Valve?

SBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just purchased from Tool Station a full bore isolating valve ref No. 11495. Unlike all other valves I have purchased this one does not have alignment flow indication. Therefore am I correct in assuming that the direction of insertion is not relevant and it can be fitted either way around?
Thank you in anticipation
Barry

Sponsored Links
Like you, I've scratched my head a few times over these......I guess they are universal in direction, but to my logic, the incoming water forces the sealing ball against its housing for best results therefore the water should enter at the end where the body spanner flats are - i.e from the picture, the right hand end.
Probably lunacy :p
John :)

• Thanks
Reactions: SBW
+ 1

I didn't post as I didn't want to look silly ( I do enough of that already)

Unless someone posts to say it's a load of rubbish, and in that case, I'm with them :p

Sponsored Links
When you consider that push fit cap ends are left on mains pressure services.

I doubt that it makes any difference!

• Thanks
terrydoh you still took the trouble to reply, thank you.

Terrywookfit I can see where you are coming from, thank you.

Burnerman, I also like the logic of your next to model answer, and as Terrywookfit also suggests that orientation is not critical I will play safe and couple as you suggest i.e. the water will enter where the spanner flats are.

Barry

Presumably all ball type valves have similar designs and construction - at least to some degree. It makes me wonder why some are 'arrowed' and some not......its fairly obvious when you look at a traditional tap or stopcock which way they should be orientated.
I rarely find problems with these things allowing water through when they shouldn't - but leakage through the screw gland is fairly common, I find.
They're probably largely made in China :p and they're too bloody cheap!
John :)

Some are made with the workings held in place by a sprung collet. It is best if these are in the inlet side of the valve to stop the water pressure 'unspringing' them when the valve is closed. These types of valves will have an arrow.

Others are made with the body consisting of 2 halves. These are of such a construction that it does not matter which direction the water flows as pressure will not dislodge anything.

• Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back