Our Central Heating has our plumber stumped...NEED your help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there...newbie here so be gentle!

For a few months now our Central Heating has been getting worse and worse to the point where in the last month it has become completely ineffective (Hot Water works perfectly but rads are cold).

I (well, father in law truth be told) replaced the pump, diverter valve, converted to a sealed system and ran sludge remover through the system. Each time something changed, the system seemed to get a bit worse. The heating was left with luke warm radiators. It had him stumped and he said it felt like a flow problem on the CH circuit and recommended a Power Flush. We we got a plumber in and he agreed that a powerflush seemed the next logical step.

The plumber has powerflushed the entire system including taking each rad off. Yet, again, it got worse to the point that the rads are stone cold. Refusing to be defeated the plumber came back and has:
- re-routed some inefficient piping (randomly going upstairs and back)
- added manifolds to route the heating flow and return to each radiator individually, hopefully meaning that if one rad was blocked at least the other 6 would work
and after all that...the boiler won't come on at all and we now have not Hot Water either!

The plumber has been great and is now officially losing money on us but is pretty stumped. He said he thinks it's the boiler but can't answer my question of "well, why was the hot water working (without immersion) if the boiler was at fault".

Any ideas would be greatly received as at the moment I am staring at a very cold Christmas given that my plumber has ran out of ideas!

Ta!

(I have a W-B Greenstar 15 Ri boiler running on a sealed system with 7 rads, hot water cylinder)

Sponsored Links
What does the boiler do when you switch it on and call for heat?

I'm guessing the thermostat is up and the system pressure is around 1 bar?

The boiler used to turn on (blue power light), go through the full start up routine (green light) then power down after about 1 minute (seemed to work ok for hot water though).

Now, the boiler never gets past the green light. So when there is a call for heat, nothing happens. Blue power light remains on but there is no green light.

I'm just worried I'll get a Worcester Bosch engineer out who will fix the latest issue for £250 and get me back to where I was before (boiler that fired up but still no heating)!

British Gas £99 one off fee and £20 a month for 12 months...

Works out less than Worcester and you get 11 months more cover aswell...

Oh and you dont pay it all at once, its direct debit. just saying.

Sponsored Links
The boiler used to turn on (blue power light), go through the full start up routine (green light) then power down after about 1 minute (seemed to work ok for hot water though).

Now, the boiler never gets past the green light. So when there is a call for heat, nothing happens. Blue power light remains on but there is no green light.

so are you saying that now it doesn't even attempt to start? (fan running, ignition etc)

BlueMoonMole";p="2228271 said:

Oh and you dont pay it all at once, its direct debit. just saying.[/quote

Better with Eon tbh bg are dog **** these days

Oh and you dont pay it all at once, its direct debit. just saying.

This is a diy site, not for you to advertise. You should be reported - your as bad as Agile :rolleyes:

The boiler fan does not even fire.

However, I've just tried (2 hours later) and the boiler again starts (click, fan whirr, green light) followed by power down (fan slow down and green light turns off) after 1 minute.

Flow problem? Boiler problem? My head's spinning!

Why doesn't your plumber phone WB technical when he is on site?

In the time and messing about done.

I could have re-piped the whole house. (Probably for less).

Are the pipes form the boiler getting hot. Need to trace where
the heat is going to if they are. Is the return pipe getting hot?

Whilst your plumber is clearly happy to do lots on your on your system ( because he is being paid for it? ).

But all you need is a competent heating engineer who will immediately identify your problem and correct it.

Tony

Thanks for all your replies.

To briefly answer a few:
- Yes the pump is facing the right way :)
- I've had 5 separate plumbers look at my system and they were all stumped (although we are getting closer!)
- The plumber is not charging me anymore money for this and is significantly out of pocket. Admitted himself that in hindsight re-plumbing the entire system would've been cheaper...hindsight is a wonderful thing.

But there's an update! Today a WB engineer coincidentally got called to next door which seemed too much of a coincidence to refuse! A few smiles later and he instantly identified the heat exchanger had gone on the boiler and replaced it. The boiler is now working again! (hurrah!) However, the system is still not working fully (booo!).

In order to get me with some heat over Christmas, the plumber put a second pump in line...the (temporary) system is now working and we again have heat.

Now, as you can tell, I'm no plumbing genius...but does this clearly indicate a restriction in the system? i.e. The system hasn't been powerflushed fully? This guy has been fantastic, he has done way above and beyond what I asked him to do (powerflush) for no extra cost. So I don't want to make him do anything unreasonable but if the system hasn't been flushed properly I'll expect him to do that...but I'll have to be 100% sure that is the problem.

Thanks for all your helpful responses!

Has anyone ever checked that the pump isolating valves are opening?

It explains how to do the bucket test on them in the FAQs on this site.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back