Pressure drop/Copper carbonate on combi boiler pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I got a Vaillant ecotec pro28 gas combi boiler installed almost 11 months ago. Recently I have had to allow water into the heating system due to the pressure dropping. I realise this could be a leak somewhere so I started from the boiler as I can't see any dampness/signs of a leak in the house. The pipe shown is the central heating supply and, as you can see in the photo, there is copper oxide on 2 of the nuts. Would it be safe to assume there is some water escape from these areas?
Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
That is copper carbonate giving the green colour. Copper oxides are black or deep reddish.

There is a small leak which will probably be cured by just tightening the nuts. That can be done when you have your boiler serviced during the next four weeks.

There is a tendency for those joints to become looser due to thermal cycling. That's why after installing a boiler I return after a week to check the joints and see if the owner needs any help in using the controls.

Tony

Tony
Thanks for the reply. Would this small leak cause a pressure drop on the system or would there be more chance of it being elsewhere on the system?

Sponsored Links
It will cause a small leak of course.

But its normal to need to top up every few months.

So it may be the only one or you may have others. But topping up at more then two months is very good and quite normal from micro leaks on rad valve shafts etc.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back