Recommendations for new boiler in holiday home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have an old (20 years plus) Trianco Redfyre Centraljet an indirect vented hot water tank. The boiler is coming to the end of its life and i'm considering options.

House is an old cottage with 9 radiators, 2 bathrooms. One of which has an electric shower and the other has a bath and no shower. It is used as a holiday rental and the amount of people in the house varies from 2 to 8. Therefore hot water use is fairly inconsistent.

At present I have the timer on the immersion to heat HW for the last two hours of the off peak electric and then the boiler heats it on and off during the day.

I probably have 3 options:

1 - combi - but our heating engineer has said this would struggle to keep up with hot water demand if two hot taps are running and we'd only get luke warm water. Really??

2 - new system boiler and keep existing HW immersion. Cheapest option (I guess?) but not so efficient...?

3 - new system boiler and replace immersion with unvented cylinder - would be heated overnight using off peak electric- assume this will be the most expensive option.

Any thoughts/ opinions on the above given the use of the house?

Suggestions for boilers? Can either be internally or external. If internal, has to be wall mounted.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Since it is a holiday home.
Reliability and backup are most important.

System boiler. You can keep the existing hot water tank
or go to an unvented tank.

You could go for a combi boiler as the oil boilers have very high flow rates
but I would keep it simple with a cylinder and immersion heater as backup
so guests would have hot water in case of a boiler failure.

I would go for one of the external wall mounted system boilers
like the wall star or similar. Therefore all the boiler noise is outside.
Or floor standing external.

Another option you might want to consider is an air source heat pump.
This would sit outside and heat a hot tank and radiators.

Thanks for that, I like the idea of air source heat pump but as its an old inefficient cottage it's probably not a good move.

I know its a 'how long is a piece of string question'... but how do prices compare (roughly) for options:

1 - combi and scrap immersion/ cold water tank etc
2 - system boiler and unvented tank
3 - system boiler and current immersion

Please assume its a decent boiler....

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Holiday let what about electric boiler with off peak HW. No servicing, no oil or gas to worry about. I know it takes some work away from our trade but find quite a few lets do this as it's easy to maintain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back