Replacing Room Thermostat with wireless model

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening gents,

I decided to replace our bog standard Towerstat RS with a wireless RT300RF as we live in a town house and we want a mobile thermostat.

I've read lots on here, very good articles but wanted to clarify.

Looking at the old RS it has

LIVE
NEUTRAL
SL

Looking at whats required on the RF model its

LIVE
NEUTRAL
COM
N/O

According to this article its can be done with rewiring.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=197485

So the SL from the boiler/timer needs to go to call for heat on the RF model.

I take it that goes to the common????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The point is that wireless thermostats have a receiver which can/should be fitted near the boiler or wiring centre, where all necessary connections can be made, and a battery operated sender unit which you can place wherever you want.

They are so that you do not have to have a cable from the wiring centre to the, for example, living room.
The present cable from the wiring centre to the thermostat position is now redundant, hence the term 'wireless'.
Also, if you have a programmer this too will be made either completely or partially redundant.

There is no point in buying one and placing the receiver where the old thermostat was even if there are the necessary number of wires.

They all come with instructions.

Thanks for the info, I was under the impression the receiver unit just worked as an on/off switch and the controller unit sent the signal to the receiver unit dependant on the temperature set on the controller.

I thought it would be easier just to place the receiver in the same place as the old room thermostat.. especially as the RF signal would have a less obstructive route between the 2.

I will re-read the instructions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back