Roof Plant Room v Basement Plant Room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon,

would somebody be able to tell me the advantages of having a roof top plant room over a basement plant room.

Also if possible would you be able to state the complications of regulations if you are to install a boiler in basement plant room?

Kind Regards Nathan

Sponsored Links
It is, just looking for some guidance and more information than I already know.

I know it will save space, reduced cost of installation, flues will be reduced in length, roof mounted plant room will be easier to ventilate.

Just wondering if anyone can help with any other information.

Basement plant will fall under clean air act depending on boiler size
Fuel will depended on if you can use a basement
Ventilation and flueing

Don't forget though roof top plant construction is costly with tanking, access, guard rails etc. Sometimes way more than basement.

Also location of services and associated plant like AHU's

Also have to consider the fire aspect with plant in basements for ingress and egress of people above

Sponsored Links
And if you have a leak from the rooftop plant room it will be messy!

But much better than needing a wetsuit and bottles to go into a flooded basement.

And if you have a leak from the rooftop plant room it will be messy!

Most of the Rooftop plant rooms I work in have tanked floors! simples ;)
can be a PITA getting all your Tools and gear up to the 12th floor plant room when the Lift is out of order though! although the view from the roof is often compensation! I have one site in at Hendon Mount, at night the view across to the new wembley stadium is awesome! ;)

The majority of new office blocks, new hotels, banks etc are heated/cooled using refrigeration.
So the rooftop will be the first choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back