Shower no longer reaching hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In the middle of a shower the other day, one of the switches tripped in the fuse box and when I turned it back on, the shower was quite cold. If I turn the temperature dial all the way to hot then the temperature is almost hot enough, but the pressure is terrible.

I'm far from an electrical expert, but I don't mind getting stuck in and having a go and have had some moderate success in fixing things in the past. After a bit of googling I found this article (http://timwolverson.wordpress.com/2013/09/30/how-an-electric-shower-works-common-electric-shower-faults/) that seems to suggest if there was a problem with one of the pressure switches that one of the heating elements wouldn't work which I assume could be my problem.

I've took the cover off the shower and tested the two terminals I've circled in the image below with a multimeter. I get a beep from the meter when touching the two green terminals, but not the two red terminals. Does this indicate that one of them is broken? If so, which one?

shower.jpg

Thanks,
Anthony[/img]

Sponsored Links
probably not what you want to hear but I'd call someone in to advise / quote / fix.

A huge amount of current goes through an electric shower, added to which is water, a dangerous combination. I don't think anyone on here can safety advise you of what to do / check

More likely one of the heating elements has gone, depending on how old your shower is it might be easier just to change the whole unit.

Sponsored Links
The shower is only just over two years old, and a replacement one is going to cost me £165, so I think it's worth trying to fix it myself first.

If it's one of the heating elements rather than the switches, is there any other reason one of the switches is conducting electricity and the other isn't?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back