The curious case of the green bathwater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently installed a nice white bathroom suite, only to have my bathing experience sullied by dirty green water. I'm fairly sure it's a new occurence, although you couldn't always see the colour of the water in the old blue suite :eek:
I've currently got Severn Trent working on a new water supply to the whole street, and my first query is whether any of the changes they are undertaking could have caused the problem? The water seems a lot softer since the changes, but the new suite has aerators on the taps, so I've got multiple variables! If its not the supply, I'm assuming theres some issue with the copper piping on my side. It only seems to be the hot water, and there's very little in the way of actual piping - I've got a polyplumb feed all the way into the bathroom, and then lengths of copper to the kitchen, combi and back up to the bathroom - no storage tanks or anything. There are earths connected to the pipes, but can't see any obvious external corrosion.
Can anybody offer any help, advice or otherwise assure me that I'm not going to die of copper related poisoning?

Sponsored Links
Deal with each issue one at a time - could well be the work on the mains from the suppliers, so ask your neighbours if they've had any similar experiences lately.

Deal with each issue one at a time - could well be the work on the mains from the suppliers, so ask your neighbours if they've had any similar experiences lately.

Ok, it looks like it's only me, and I'm now concerned that it's a result of my DIYing.
Basically, I've cut the supply pipes to the bath, sink and toilet. On the five pipes, I've put compression isolators, and then joined to the new fixtures with flexible piping. I'm worried that either the metals are reacting (copper to isolators) causing corrosion, or that the cuts I made have left raw edges which are corroding. There's no water seepage - the joins are sound - but access meant that I had to get through them with a hacksaw blade and then file down as much as I could. I've done some research, but it's all really conflicting. What I don't want is to either poison the household or create a bigger problem with pinhole leaks appearing and corroding pipework.
Any advice gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
... then file down as much as I could.
Copper filings in the pipework?

It will flush out eventually, but there's a chance it could block filters on showers and washing machine hoses etc.

Use a Pipeslice next time. Easy, quick and worth every penny.

... then file down as much as I could.
Copper filings in the pipework?

It will flush out eventually, but there's a chance it could block filters on showers and washing machine hoses etc.

Use a Pipeslice next time. Easy, quick and worth every penny.

I used a pipecutter where possible, but there was very little clearance in parts so a saw was the only option I could think of. I did think of filings being the cause, but thought they'd have flushed out by now - there's been a fair few gallons gone through the system since the works.

You may have copper corrosion you need to have an electrical earthing test carried out by an electrican to confirm.

Copper corrosion can be caused by your electrical system being grounded to your water pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back