TRITON OPAL 3 ELECTRIC SHOWER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS FOR A TRITON OPAL 1 SHOWER UNIT - I GOT THE HEADING WRONG!!

My Opal (1) shower is leaking where the outlet pipe comes out of the shower unit's base.

At first I was going to simply replace the hose that goes from the shower outlet to the shower head.

On closer inspection it appears to me that the leak is coming from a rubber pipe immediately behind the Outlet Pipe at the base of the shower unit. This rubber pipe does not feed into the hose. When I switch the water on, the water seems to come down this rubber pipe. The hose itself screws into the Outlet Pipe but this appears to leave the rubber pipe behind the Outlet Pipe just dangling out of the base of the shower unit spewing water onto the floor of the shower cubicle.

It seems clear to me that, from the way the unit is built, the rubber pipe is where it should be - fitting snugly behind the Outlet Pipe: there is a plastic frame in place to hold it in position about 3 mm behind the Outlet Pipe. Before opening the casing I had assumed the rubber pipe is supposed to enter the Outlet Pipe (O/P) at some point so the water can feed into the O/P and then into the hose so it comes out of the shower head onto your head. But for the life of me I can't work out how the rubber pipe is supposed to feed into the outlet pipe. It would be a very tight fit to try and push the end of the rubber pipe into the screw head of the shower hose when tightening the latter onto the Outlet Pipe

Can anyone advise what I do to stop the Unit Leaking?

I cant find detailed online manuals (pdfs) for the Opal 1 unit - only the Opal 3.

I appreciate this is a very basic question and not of the standard what you are used to.

Sponsored Links
The pressure relief device has failed, and will need to be replaced:
http://www.showerdoc.com/TRITO-8330...ure-Relief-Device)-And-O-Ring-(pair)-83301330

This is a safety feature, and allows water to escape if the hose or shower head becomes blocked.

They usually fail due to the shower head being blocked with limescale, or the hose being twisted around and therefore blocking the water flow.

Thank you for replying.

Can I simply replace the PRD and clean the old hose and head up or do I need to get a new shower hose and head?

If I do get a new hose and head does it have to be a Triton Opal product or can it be off the shelf provided it screws on okay to the Outlet Pipe?

Sponsored Links
The hose can be any make, provided it has the correct fitting at each end (99% will have). The type with a metal outer covering are far better than the all-plastic variety.
The head should be the correct one for that shower, as the flow rate through the head must be correct for the particular model of shower. If not, the shower might not work correctly, or the PRD could fail again.

Unless the old head is totally ruined, the most likely repair would be to replace the PRD, fit a new hose and just clean the existing shower head with limescale remover. Or even cheaper, get a bottle of value vinegar from any supermarket for 13p, pour into a jug and leave the shower head to soak in it overnight.

Switch off the electricity before opening the shower casing. You don't need to turn off the water supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back