Trying to improve supply flow/pressure to a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I run an electric shower which is supplied by an 15mm pipe from a link in the property.
The property has adequate pressure but low flow due to the house being fed from an old lead pipe which can/will not be changed for other reasons at this time.
The shower works OK just! would this improve if I pulled a 22mm pipe as close from the supply as possible direct to the shower??

My other choice was running some form of hot supply of a tank somehow but the property has a worcester 30si combi boiler and no tank. Any thoughts would be great thank you.

Sponsored Links
There is next to nothing you can do for an electric shower other than get one with more kW's and that will probably mean a bigger electrical supply.

They are shyte.

I kind of feared that it may be a lost project, could anyone point me in a direction to have a hot water storage tank that could be supplied by a combi or am I going about this all wrong, I basiclly like a shower that imitates Niagara Falls?
I can do the electrics and pipework but not sure what the solution is.
My pressure is ok but flow rate is the issue.

Any info greatly appreciated.

It's possible to add a tank to a combi by adapting it into an S-plan system. Make sure the combi feeds at least one hot water outlet though.

Sponsored Links
This may or may not be helpful but I had problems with my shower recently.

I took the shower head off where it meets the hose and there was a small rubber bung in it with 3 tiny holes.

i assume this was to reduce water flow so immediately removed it and now have a deluge on demand.

turns out it also sealed the shower head/ hose connection so i modified the bung with a Stanley knife and now its a washer.

might be worth investigating.

Put in a water tank and pump the cold supply to your combi, with a 30kw boiler you will get a decent shower.

Thank you Chaard, I read elsewhere here some time back and sorted that one out first but with no luck.

I think the water tank is the option, Picasso - when you say put in a water tank do you mean in the following order mains to cold water tank to pump to combi boiler?

I am researching all methods as i have decided to restart the whole room and want some form of mixer shower at the end

Yes mains to tank and then pumped from tank to combi boiler, if you pump the cold supply to the shower as well you will have a balanced supply which will give you a more stable shower temp.

After a little more reading I decided to check my flow rate, the simple way with a jug and a stop watch, and found the following from a kitchen tap close to the supply

cold 8.6 ltr per minute
Hot 7.5 ltr per minute

Now the boiler should give between 10 and 12 on the hot supply, I have read about these pumps you can attach to give a constant 12ltr on the supply would this be a valued investment?

What is the the pressure?

Those pumps are limited to flow and pressure as I understand them. They will shut down/by-pass themselves when they reach a certain pressure or flow...

Not sure at this stage but when I last had the water company out they said the pressure was good but the flow is poor due to the lead pipe supply - suggested they would replace the outside stop and I replace the inside, which was done but has made little difference.

According to the literature this type pump works on flow rate only which is the problem

http://www.salamanderpumps.co.uk/pumps/home-boost

Please note that the HomeBoost™ is
designed to boost incoming water flow
under low pressure conditions. It cannot
overcome restricted incoming pipework
and replacement water pipes should be
installed in this scenario.

I have a vague recollection that if your pressure is over 1.6bar the pump won't function.

For a laugh I did their e-learning course - got 100% correct on the pre assessment. Then the course narrator said I should be able to improve on this at the post assessment stage :LOL: that's reassuring.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back