Water tank drip problem (overflow?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my plumbing knowledge it pretty limited. I have a 10 year old Bryant home :rolleyes:

There is a water tank in the loft (cold I think) covered in plastic wrapping.

Theres a long pipe (~3cm diameter) coming out of it which exits the house just under the guttering on the edge of the roof (ie where the roof meets the top of the side wall).

The problem is that the pipe it stays dry for a couple of weeks then drips non stop for a few days the (at a rate of a 2 drips per second) then goes dry for a while again. It drips right outside the patio door and gets you wet whenever you go out so is quite annoying.

Any ideas of what the cause could be, it was dry 100% of the time up until 6 months ago or so.

Any clues greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It may just need a bit of adjustment to the float valve feeding the tank.

If it is the cold water storage tank, adjust it so it closes when the water is a couple of inches below the overflow level.

If it is a small heating system expansion tank, adjust it so it closes when the water level is a couple of inches above the tank outlet.

That leaves room for expansion when the heating is running.

Some float valves have a screw adjustment, some allow the float to be slid along the arm, and others just by bending the arm up or down.

If the float valve doesn't close fully and reliably, it's probably time to replace it. It is possible to re-washer them, but for the price of them, it's hardly worth it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back