extending slates out over gable end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The composite slates on my roof stop slightly short of the gable end. The previous owner had just applied mortar over the end extending down over the gable end. It is breaking up and falling off and so I removed it.

I want to finish this end of properly. I could put some upvc L section there to close the gap but I would prefer to extend the slate out for a more professional look.

I would need to extend out by half a slate. Is there a technique of sliding tiles in at the edge with out removing a triangular section of the existing roof covering.

Sponsored Links
Are we talking slates or tiles?

You could consider a dry verge or a mortared verge. They are different.

Are we talking slates or tiles?

You could consider a dry verge or a mortared verge. They are different.

They are fibre type slate. They stop about 10mm short of the edge of the wall so the profiles of the dry verge systems that I have researched will not work as they will not overlap the tiles sufficiently if at all

So if you've definitely ruled out a dry verge system, something like that shown here:
http://www.glidevale.com/downloads/glidevale_roof_ventilation.pdf
the alternative is a mortared edge.
This comprises an undercloak, usually a fibre cement board or similar, overhanging by about 50mm, onto which the slates are bedded on mortar, not just pointed up afterwards. So you have the tickness of the battens as mortar down the verge.
It's important to stop the battens about 100mm short of the edge to avoid the mortar being in contact with the batten edge. It avoids moisture rotting the batten end. The slates overhang by the same amount as the undercloak.

You could restrain the slates with hooks, ready made hooks or ones fabricated from copper/zinc sheet.
You would probably use a lower hook and a side hook.

Sponsored Links
There is a dry verge for slate so it will work but it has to go under the ends of the batons so you will need to remove fibre slates at the verge.

There is a dry verge for slate so it will work but it has to go under the ends of the batons so you will need to remove fibre slates at the verge.

Yes this is what I was getting at in my first post. How can I remove the slates along the verge without removing half the roof? If I can do this to the first two rafters I can extend the batons, felt and the slates out over the edge of the wall (natural stone). I can then use this product

http://www.marleyeternit.co.uk/Roofing/DryFix-Systems/Slate-Verge-Trim.aspx
or
http://www.kytun.com/slate_01.htm
http://www.kytun.com/slate_02.htm

but for them to do the job the slates need to extend out over the wall

You will need a slate ripper to remove some of the slates, and if you start from the ridge and work down most of the nails will reveal themselves. also the full slates you remove you can put in place were the half slates were and then buy some slate and halves.

You will need a slate ripper to remove some of the slates, and if you start from the ridge and work down most of the nails will reveal themselves. also the full slates you remove you can put in place were the half slates were and then buy some slate and halves.

Ha a slate ripper, thought there must be a tool for it.

When putting the slates back at the verge do you just use the one nail hole and a hook, as one of the holes, on the inner side of the slate will be covered over by the existing slate that would over lap it. or is there a technique for getting this nail in underneath the ovewrlapin slate?

There is no technique that I know of for getting that nail back in, just get a 4mm irwin cordless masonary bit and drill another hole in the slate.

There is no technique that I know of for getting that nail back in, just get a 4mm irwin cordless masonary bit and drill another hole in the slate.

Cheers catlad, I think I have enough info to proceed. Just need the weather now, so looks like Ill be starting sometime in the summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back