Gable end bargeboard repairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

We've got scaffolding up at the moment for a rendering job and whilst up there taking some photos I noticed the bargeboard has seen better days.

It doesn't look rotten along most of it's length, only a couple of bits at the very ends at their lowest points. The photos show the condition of the bargeboard.

While we've got the scaffolding I want to repair the bargeboard and make it good for a few more years, maybe until we get the roof done.

What are my options? Is it worth putting some plastic fascia over the wooden bargeboard for added protection?

Any help and advice gratefully received.
Thanks
jon

Sponsored Links
The timber is rotting because of the design - there is no overhang of the verge tiles so water is getting into the top of the timber

Over cladding it wont protect it, and will make it worse in this situation

1. As above.

2. Pic 2 shows a repair pieced-in and failing.
How many years before a re-roof?
That in-place paint job will require burning-off and belt sanding before re-painting.

3. Best verge roofing practice calls for ladder rafters, fibre cement board, and underfelt ( which you dont appear to have ).

4. Pvc soffit and barge board will give maintenance free cover.
The barge board must "box-in" where it meets the fascia.

FWIW: Deep Soffits at the fascia and verge will always provide best cover, and give the house a certain "gravity".

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

The bit of wood in pic 2 looks as though it was supposed to be a temporary repair and was in place before we bought the house last year. It's a flimsy bit of hardboard or something like that. It'll be at least 5 or so years before a re-roof I would say, especially as all funds have gone on doing it up inside and on the rendering.

I know the verge isn't the best and more of an overhang would be ideal but I didn't build the place so I need to do what I can with what is there.

What do you reckon is my best option?

I was thinking of making good the rotten bits and repainting in the hope that it will last the few years until we can get the whole roof done.

Thanks again.
jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back