Gable End Wall / Roof Verge Insulation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just started to renew the cement verges with dry verges on my 1980 Barratt bungalow.

Its a Tiled Trussed rafter roof going over the breeze/cavity/brick gable end wall with a projecting verge of about 4" in total.

Under the felt, where goes over the wall, there is a complete covering of fiber glass insulation on top of the complete end wall.

The felt above the fiber glass has totally disintegrated but when I lay some new felt, because of this insulation pushing up, its stands really proud, even touching the underside of the tiles in places.

Just wanted to know the full intention of the fiber glass and if its applicable to todays standards and if I should reinstate it fully as some of it is very mucky and soaked etc

Am guessing it may have a few purposes, one to stop muck etc dropping down the cavity , to insulate the top of the cavity and possibly, to help act as a diverter to any water coming it so its quicky driven away off the cavity because of its mound effect it produces ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
It has little use tbh and I would get rid or replace with new. It certainly should not be wet and is not meant to be a barrier for the ingress of water as there should not be any ingressat all.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Well the original insulation spans across the cavity and brick/block work and is butted up against the internal rafter and the floating rafter.
Done deliberately as they have started nails into the rafters then bent them over to hold the insulation in place.

Looking around seems the main idea of the insulation should be just in the top of the cavity to stop fire spread.

Think they have also used it to even out the brickworks sharp edges to stop it puncturing the felt as the bricks have just been built up normally /horizontally, no nice clean angled finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back