New Cast Iron Gutter Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Please could someone help / advise ?

I've just had some external repairs on my property which involved installation of new cast iron guttering.

I have since discovered that it is leaking on one joint and at the end.
On looking at it there doesn't appear to be any bolts on either of the places and when it rains it looks like water is simply pouring through the pre drilled bolt holes.

It is 2 stories up so difficult to see, I reported this to the builder, he said that leaks are normal until it fills with a fine tilth.

Is this the case ?
Many thanks
Rachel

Sponsored Links
Thanks I did wonder !

Probably a silly question but should there be either a bolt in the hole or some kind of plug to stop the water ?

Rachel

Normally cast iron guttering is joined together with a nut and bolt with 'putty' inbetween the joint.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I hope you haven't paid him yet

Borrow some binoculars to look at guttering.

Thanks will do
Feel a bit clueless - could see water pouring through the bolt holes will take another look !!

Guy is pulling a fast one to cover up a very bad job.
When one purchases new caste iron guttering today, along with the actual guttering you should have gutter bolts (these go through your so called fine tilth drain holes) and instead of putty at the joints (although you can still use putty, mastic, CT1 etc) you can get purpose made strips of soft foam rubber that lay in the joint overlaps. These strips compress when the joint or fitting overlap is bolted up and gives a 100% waterproof joint.
If your gutter leaks, you will end up with walls below being continually soaked, which could cause damp. If gutter water is constantly dripping onto wooden frames below they will rot very quickly.
All the best Steve.

Hello

sorry for delay - it has taken a few attempts at uploading images
am not sure how to insert into this reply, think i may have sussd it but just incase i have put 4 pics in my album
hoping helphful and would really appreciate anybody taking a look and feeding back
need to get inouch with the building company

best wishes
and thank you
Rachel[/img]

Looks like you may have another issue as well as the leaks. That being support. I would expect to see a gutter bracket within 300mm (roofers please correct me if I am wrong) from the end of the gutter and fairly close to any joint overlap. I cannot see any brackets, but maybe the gutter is fixed some other way that I cannot see, like directly back to the fascia.

Also if it leaks at the end cap maybe he has not got the correct fall on the gutter as well, as the end cap should be at the highest point so unless a huge rainfall water would run away from the end cap and not have much chance to drip.
It looks like he has bolted the end cap but not sealed it properly. and the overlap joint needs bolting and sealing.

Steve.

Looks to me like he couldn't get proper access and so he's bodged it.

You are completely right poor access but it was his advice and choice we had 2 sides of a 3 storey building in scaffold and he said rear of property could be done with a tower.
I would rather of had scaffold and it be right than a bad job that might cause future problems :(
Wondering what to do...

Guttering installed by the invisible bracket man? What the hell's holding it up :eek: A screw through the back, into the facia maybe?
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back