New roof on a semi-detatched - does this look right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having a new roof put on our semi-detatched house and are concerned about the join in the tiles with the neighbours.

We've taken it up with the roofer who says there is a bonding gutter between the tiles to catch water.

What do you think of this? Is this good/bad/normal practise? To me it looks like a messy job and I feel the tiles should interlock or at least meet better than this.

Cheers,
TK

Sponsored Links
Its normal

Your new tiles are completely different to the neighbours tiles, so would never interlock.

Presumably you chose your tiles before hand

Its normal

Your new tiles are completely different to the neighbours tiles, so would never interlock.

Presumably you chose your tiles before hand

Hi woody,

Thanks for the response. We didn't choose the tiles, they were chosen for us by the roofer. The old tiles, and those on the neighbor roof are apparently old and imported so are very hard to get hold of.

It just looks like the neighbors tiles have been cut untidily and too short to meet with our new ones.

Cheers,
TK

EDIT: We have been around the local houses and looked at theirs roofs that have been replaced and their tiles are not exactly the same as ours, but they are different from the originals yet they meet together nicely and form a clean, tidy line.

The problem seems to be that the cut is on the end of a tile so you will always get that effect due to the tile interlock runner on alternate rows. Plus, the neighbours tiles are out of line anyway, and those are not the sort of tiles to allow one end tile to be jigged about.

The roofer may be able to see if they will move to a better position but its doubtful

That explains the gap - which seems OK at the eaves, and wider at the top as your neighbours tiles are out of line.

I just wonder if this bonding strip should have a mortar fillet to seal the gap under the end tile. Some do, some don't

Sponsored Links
The join isn't in the middle of the stack.

The join isn't in the middle of the stack.

So what?

The tile edge must govern where the joint goes

Alternatively, this will ensure that the tray and the work is all on the OPs side of the boundary

Thanks for the responses everyone. Just to confirm can I rest assured this join is fine, it shouldn't leak and the neighbour has no reason to complain? I want to be sure all is well before handing over a large wad of cash :D

Not the tidiest, and as stated not on the boundary either..apart from that its ok.

it looks crap. it could easily have looked neater .. even the new tiles are out of true verticaly making the join look even more shoddy.
the the old tiles on the right of the join would have taken ten minutes to straighten up. The gutter join and broken bracket looks naff too..genrally poor visually IMHO

We asked for it to be neatened up and this is where we are now. To Me it looks a lot tidier.

How about the size of the gap between the two sets of tiles, visual aspects aside, is there any chance this could let water in?

Agree with Datarebal it could be much better. Are you all forgetting that to install the bonding gutter corectly the roofer should have taken off the neighbours tiles, installed the BG and then re-tiled over it. Either the BG is just shoved under the neighbours side and not fixed or he re-tiled it like that. The line is wonky and not central and, woody, the tile doesn't govern where the joint goes. The roofer should push/pull or even cut tiles to suit the boundaries of the roof not just leave a poor finish because he fancies fitting a full tile. The 'tray' should be on the party wall and not on the OP's side otherwise it wouldn't sit under the neighbours tiles.

Agree with Datarebal it could be much better. Are you all forgetting that to install the bonding gutter corectly the roofer should have taken off the neighbours tiles, installed the BG and then re-tiled over it. Either the BG is just shoved under the neighbours side and not fixed or he re-tiled it like that. The line is wonky and not central and, woody, the tile doesn't govern where the joint goes. The roofer should push/pull or even cut tiles to suit the boundaries of the roof not just leave a poor finish because he fancies fitting a full tile. The 'tray' should be on the party wall and not on the OP's side otherwise it wouldn't sit under the neighbours tiles.

Is it of great importance that the bonding gutter is over the party wall? By the look of ours from the outside I would guess it's not directly over it. If this is an issue then I would like to take it up with the roofer before the job is considered complete.

, woody, the tile doesn't govern where the joint goes. The roofer should push/pull or even cut tiles to suit the boundaries of the roof not just leave a poor finish because he fancies fitting a full tile.

Of course it does. Cut the edge of the interlocking tile and it wont sit flat

Also, you can't expect a roofer to go on to the neighbours roof [trespass] and start aligning all the tiles just to get a straight edge

As you well know, you cant just move the end tile, else you will open up the joint to the next tile along

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back