Should a Roofer include the Chimney Flashing on Reroof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I had my roof reshingled last year in Michigan and now have a leak (may have been leaking a while) coming into the attic against the visible masonry on the corner of chimney.....it also has siding on the roof around the chimney.......

My question is, should the roofer have changed the flashing to the chimney as part of the reroof or at least took responsibility for it?

The reason I say this is that I believe that the siding should not play a part in the waterproofing of the roof (correct me if I'm wrong).

The roofer is saying that the leak could be due to the cement cap, flashing or siding.......Its not the cement cap because the water is not penetrating into the chimney and also has a large galvanized cover, also I believe that the siding should not play a part in the waterproofing of the roof really, (correct me if I'm wrong)....

Also what guarantee is pretty much standard for a reroof?

Should I accept a leak from around the chimney after a reroof?

Love to hear anyones views,

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless the upstand of the lead is either chased into the masonry or the lead continues up and under the cement cap, then the siding will play a part in the weathering of the roof.

It could be that there is some reluctance to chase the lead into the chimney masonry due to movement issues, therefore a 'floating' upstand of lead (one that is allowed to move with the roof) would need either a separate chased in cover flashing or the siding as weathering.

Unless the upstand of the lead is either chased into the masonry or the lead continues up and under the cement cap, then the siding will play a part in the weathering of the roof.

It could be that there is some reluctance to chase the lead into the chimney masonry due to movement issues, therefore a 'floating' upstand of lead (one that is allowed to move with the roof) would need either a separate chased in cover flashing or the siding as weathering.

Thanks for that, I actually posted on the wrong forum I thought it was a USA one I use for my USA second home.......the existing zinc flashing is chased in the masonry but just wanted to find out if any leak should be down to the roofer!

Thanks

if they quoted to attend to flashings then yes get them back.. if not then i guess its tough titty..

Sponsored Links
if they quoted to attend to flashings then yes get them back.. if not then i guess its tough ****..

Yes but isn't that a bit like, erm, they did not mention about changing the roof underfelt.....and guess what, I just found out that it did not get changed.

Or am I being unreasonable?

as far as the felt is concerned then it should have been changed. personally we attend to flashings as a seperate item as required.Soakers changed regardless. Why change flashings if they are good.? the underlay you get one crack at it..

I dont think there is much of an argument here unless you told them to do it or they specified it.

as far as the felt is concerned then it should have been changed. personally we attend to flashings as a seperate item as required.Soakers changed regardless. Why change flashings if they are good.? the underlay you get one crack at it..

I dont think there is much of an argument here unless you told them to do it or they specified it.

Sorry didn't mean to mislead....that was just an example of "where do you draw the line"

I think that things may be different in Michigan regarding what is expected

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back