Lead flashings included on re-roofs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just spent £6500 on a new roof. I had quotes for £4500 but I decided to go with this more expensive roofer and he added the vat as he did some great work on some gutter work and fascia.

Now he said that he was going to do the flashings in the chimney but now after finishing he said is not worthy coming back to do this unless I give him another job to make it worth while. Shouldn’t the flashings being part of the reroof?

Am I asking too much but paying an extra £1000 would you not expect that he will do the lead flashings also rather than banging the old flashings back ?

What do you think?

Attachments

• 6EB702D4-D37E-41F0-A3F7-689B6DECE48B.jpeg
    6EB702D4-D37E-41F0-A3F7-689B6DECE48B.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 64
Sponsored Links
The invoice actually does not say anything about the flashings on the chimney but i thought that is pretty standard.
It is a very small chimney on a bungalow.

This is the invoice,

ROOFING = property no******** ●
Removal of existing rooftiles / old felt / battons / tiles ●
New breathable membrane added ●
New treated timber battons added ●
New Rooftiles added including dry ridge systems Square top tiles match existing tiles colour brown( Front & Rear of Property )●
Upvc dryverge system on gablends Colour brown
£6,425.00
£6,425.00
RUBBER ROOFING ( Rear Garage )●
Removal of existing flat roof / clearing timber frames. ●
New osb timber boarding added to timber framework.●
Sanding off osb then primed & glued ready for Rubberised protection.●
New Rubberised roof protection / includes of any gutter edges and stand up trims.●
Fasica & gutter including with works.
£3,000.00
£3,000.00
UPVC ROOFLINE :●
Removal of existing Gutters & timbers Front of property as discussed .●
New upvc fascia : ( Outer side ) Front of bungalow as discussed. Colour - white.Manufacturer ie : freefoam building products ●
New upvc Soffit : ( Underneath ) Front of bungalow as discussed.Colour - white.Manufacturer ie : freefoam building products ●
New upvc gutters & drains : ( water flowing) Front of bungalow as discussed.Colours - blackManufacturer ie : freefoam building products● Silacone seals to brick finished.Manufacturer ie : soudal●
Timber rafter support boarding to mount the upvc roofline / Airventaion above fasica boarding
£575.00
£575.00

SUBTOTAL£10,000.00
TAXABLE£8,333.33
VAT (20%)inc £1,666.67
TOTAL£10,000.00
BALANCE DUEGBP £10,000.00

● 5years guarantee
Scaffolding free of charge
All wasted removed and taken away
Fully public liability insurance
Risk assessment approved

Sponsored Links
Flashing is not standard.

Not only is it optional, but there are options for lead or lead replacement along with flashing and gutters and aprons, so unless it's itemised or specified, it's not included.

Flashing is not standard.

Not only is it optional, but there are options for lead or lead replacement along with flashing and gutters and aprons, so unless it's itemised or specified, it's not included.
Oh well he just sent me a new quote now for flashing:

£480 with patination seal and lead seal he wrote...

When getting work done is always better for you as the client to specify what you want doing and for the contractors to quote on that. Then everyone quotes to exactly the same specification.

Yes, some people don't know what they want, or don't want to have a specification prepared. In which case always have all the work itemised, and then always specifically ask "what is not included?". And then ask it again, and write down the response and include that within the quote or contract.

Oh well, it has taken me 10 years with various building projects and I am still learning. You just expect honest trade men to clarify things in advance rather than the client obtain a degree in roofing, plastering, landscaping etc in order to make sure everything is done correctly...
In the end of the day it's only money and this is a rental so I will get my money back in the long term but it's frustrating this year it has happened to me twice having unexpected extra bills...Next time as you're saying I will be asking all things and have them to write them down.

You could ask , does that include , front apron , back gutter, and the step flashings .
Is there a vat number on his invoice ?

The number set out looks odd

I like "risk assessment approved" and Free, yes FREE scaffolding!

And "all wasted removed and taken away". That's Friday afternoons sorted.

It's probably not right to mention the invoice spelling, but the phrases and terminology are definitely suspect.

And yes, any quote or invoice that adds up to exact 50, 100 or 1000 has not been priced.

Leave it for now, he'll probably knock on your door next week with being "in the area" and do it for £250 with a free gutter clean and driveway jetwash.

Haha,
Leave it for now, he'll probably knock on your door next week with being "in the area" and do it for £250 with a free gutter clean and driveway jetwash.

Haha, funnily enough I bargained it down to £300 for the flashing! He is coming back next week!!

£300 for lead flashing on a chimney is very cheap.
Clarify that he will use new lead, not the one already there or some that he removed from another job.
To do it properly it takes at least half a day; access, removal of old one, slots in mortar, cutting, bending, dressing, repoint cleaning up and patination oil.
£300 sounds cheap considering he will need £150 for lead.
Unless he made good money off you and just charging you a good drink.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back