Applying adhesive to wall for bathroom tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am really glad i found this site....

We are having a new bathroom fitted and in the middle of the work, some tiles fell off the wall and broke. That was quite alarming in itself but what we saw underneath was even worse....

The adhesive does not seem to be spread evenly on the wall....just applied in large blobs behind each tile.

Now i'm no expert.....but i'm really worried this means all the tiles are unstable and could fall down at any time. Mostly i worry as the tiles that fell were over the bath and thank god this happened before the bath was fitted and in use.

Does anyone know if anywhere in the world, this is a correct way of applying adhesive????
Also, is there any way of telling how tiler has stuck the other tiles on?
We are putting porcelain tiles to plasterboard (i think).

Please help as i need to know if i shoukd ge rid of my tiler and start all over again :(

Sapna

Sponsored Links
Of course there is a correct way of applying tile adhesive & unfortunately putting dabs of it on the wall isn’t it. If that’s what your tiller is doing, he’s a total cowboy & if tiles are falling off the wall he hasn’t got a clue; it a;lso sounds like he’s either using the wrong adhesive or hasn’t prepped correctly; what size are your tiles?

Tile adhesive should be applied with a notched trowel of the correct sized for the size/type of tiles being laid; they will never fall off if laid correctly using a quality adhesive of the correct type. I would also be concerned about the plasterboard, where is it located (wet or dry area) & what type is it, standard or Moisture Resistant?

My advice is to get shot of him, he’s a chancer not a tiller; take stock of the situation your in before deciding what to do next. You can post here for advice but a lot more information is needed.

yep richard is bang on, spotting tile adhesive is a sure sign of a a cowboy, and a sure way to get a crap job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back