Avoid Tooled-up.com

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a Makita nail gun from tooled up, thinking one Makita are a good brand and two tooled up are a reputable company, i used the nail gun fired approx 500 nails then it stopped working, so called tooled up and was met with a less then helpful custer service advisor, who basically talked to me like i was in the wrong, having used several types of nail guns for years i know how to work one!!

they advised that if no fault was found i would be charged confident the nail gun was faulty i returned a week later after chasing it was returned, i had been held up greatly from loosing the nail gun, i tried to use it it fired around 10 nails then failed again and this time the nose got stuck maiking it hazzardouse as this would allow nails to be fired without being pressed against objects.

I phone tooled up a little annoyed again another arrogant customer service person who again blamed the fault on anything other then the gun, even the gas being out of date until he relised i had bought it from them aswell.

So it was again returned...i asked for a replacment

I was told that Makita do not replace faulty items only repair!

this time they have said no fault exists and that i will be charged for its return if i dont pay within 30 days my item will be disposed of,

I am willing to bet it still doesnt work when i pay for it returning and i will be nearly £400 down

I would strongly advice that anyone looking to purchase an item from tooled up or assosiated companys look else where because they may be £10 cheaper on some things but you could end up far worse off, there are plenty of other online retailers that have a far better customer service.

I will be contacting makita as tooled up are a representation of there company maybe they can do something because tooled up refuse to do anything.

Sponsored Links
You also need to contact West Yorkshire Trading Standards as the behaviour of Tooled.Up may be criminal (poss. attempted fraud, obtaining monies by deception, etc). Under the Sales of Goods Act should an item prove faulty it is the retailer who is responsible for handling complaints, not the manufacturer. In law you can insist that if an item is faulty or "not of merchantable quality" (e.g. poorly designed, not fit for purpose, badly made, etc) that a fukll refund is made or that the item is repaired. It is a pity that on the second occassion you did not contat Trading Standards or Makita, or both, but before moving any further I would do so.

I think that might be the way to go, the problem is that they will in effect bin the nail gun if i do not agree to pay for the re-delivery, as they say it is working, which it definatly wasnt, i need the gun to work so tried everything to get it going, the last thing i wanted was to send it off for god knows how long.

i am sure the gun has not seen Makita iether time i returned it, i am sure Makita would not have sent the gun out in this state, i belive one of tooled ups staff will have looked at it and fiddled about until it fired a nail and sent it back worse then it was.

Like i said now they are just washing there hands of it,

its a big purchase i cant afford to get another so not sure what to do i cannot afford to be delayed iether?

can you record it failing??
record the serial number the time and date via a tv display on 2 or 3 separate channels and the non action off the tool then post on u tube :eek:

Sponsored Links
Under the Sales of Goods Act

In law you can insist that if an item is faulty or "not of merchantable quality" (e.g. poorly designed, not fit for purpose, badly made, etc)

SOGA applies differently to business contracts, than to consumer sales, and the SOGA regulations can also be amended by the suppliers T&C's

Basically, the suppliers obligations and the purchasing business's rights are reduced

OGA applies differently to business contracts, than to consumer sales, and the SOGA regulations can also be amended by the suppliers T&C's
That assumes that he ordered and paid on a business name/debit card, if, however, the payment was made on a personal debit card the SOGA applies in full. Similarly if the payment was made on a personal credit card (although in that instance I'd get in touch with the credit card company). I admit that I as making an assumption, in part due to the fact that most of the trades people coming on here are one-man bands (self-employed). In any case the supplier has singularly failed in his contractual duties.

assuming, of course, that there are not two sides to this story.

I use a private family run hire shop for my tools and enjoy a brilliant service.

Can't stand toolstation, screwfix and the like for this very reason.

Support your local suppliers.

It was purchased using a business credit card, the reduction in rights are that you cannot basically change your mind and send an item back, although a reputable company would allow this,

This isnt the case i want the item and want it to work correctly not stop after a couple of nails!

the first time i sent it back they said they had retuned to makita for repair as a fault was present the second time they are saying there is no fault when there is but they have not sent to makita for this diagnosis

also its there attitute when you try to return a faulty item.

its £400 or near enough you expect it to work as it should not give up after 500 nails considering there is over 2000

Speak to your local trading standards people. Your rights are different for items bought for business use, most good suppliers will treat you the same as a private customer anyway, but some won't.
As I understand it (and I'm not an expert) your best recourse may be to get in contact with Makita directly. I'd at least speak to them anyway.

Hi
I had the same kind of thing happen to me with my makita nail gun,eventually
Got the makita rep involved in my area and he got it all sorted out for me free of charge.I found him very helpful,you can get the rep number from there head office ,just google it.The good news is 2 years down the road it still works well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back