Where can I buy 12mm square lengths of timber?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to put a 12mm deep trim around my window frame so I can add magnetic strips to it, and then a sheet of perspex for secondary glazing.

Ideally, I need 12mm x 15mm x 6m, but 12mm square will suffice since it's more likely a standard size. Obviously it will come in shorter lengths than that.

Just can't seem to find anywhere that sells it. I've searched for "12mm square wood mouldings / trim".

What would I search for?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Most of the big sheds have racks with timber mouldings and trims of different sections - usually 2m lengths.
John :)

Get a circular saw with a small toothed blade and some 6x2 timber and you can cut whatever size you need. Saves a fortune on pre-cut stuff. I do it all the time.

Sponsored Links
I've thought of doing that joe but how many blades do you go through - doesn't that cost more than buying pre-cut?

Go to a timber merchant they will cut it as you want it, they charge only for the timber that its cut from, b&q will also do that. f.o.c

A blade will last the average amateur for years. You'll find it useful for all sorts of things. Just watch your fingers.

Did a little more research and found it's commonly known as "stripwood" or "square dowels". Managed to get it from local timber merchant which was better to support them than big DIY. And it was cheaper. THanks for your help

And in answer to Merlin, if you read my question you'll see I stated "12mm square will suffice since it's more likely a standard size". I wanted 12mm x 15mm, but I thought 12mm square would be more readily available and so was willing to compromise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back