Conservatory Roof Problem

TWC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I wonder if anyone can give me some advice.

I live in a cottage which has two conservatories fitted. They were installed over 20 years ago and I have had no problems with them at all.

I recently decided to replace the two roofs due to heat loss etc. I instructed a local supplier to carry out the works for me. The first roof that was changed was fine and I am very pleased with it.

The other roof (5.5 x 5.5 m white upvc, poly) has a little problem. As my original roof was manufactured over 20 years ago (upvc) it did not have a box gutter (lead valley instead) or any tiebars. The roof the company has fitted has a five way tie bar and a box gutter. We have managed to get around the box gutter issue however the tie bar is causing further problems.

The company I am using use the K2 roof system. They have spoken to the technical department of K2 and they say that under no circumstances can the tie bar be either reduced to a three way or that the tie bar be removed completely and that I still have a manufacturers guarantee on the roof. I have been informed that if I get a structural engineer out to inspect the property and he can assure me that there will be no lateral movement in the roof the company will then honour their guarantee.

I did suggest signing a disclaimer to say that I was happy for there to be no tie bar but my installer has insisted that they have to fit it as even with my signed disclaimer it would not stand up in court if anything happened as they are the experts and not me and they should have insisted on me having it fitted.

I cannot see any way around this situation but I do not want the tie bars

Can anyone give me any advice?.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back